Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Guilty: Jury finds Shafia family members guilty of first-degree murder

8K views 172 replies 26 participants last post by  eMacMan 
#1 ·
KINGSTON, ONT.—This is Canada. They won’t be “hoisted onto the gallows.” But they’re going to prison for life.
Mohammad Shafia: Guilty on four counts of first-degree murder.
Tooba Mohammad Yahya: Guilty on four counts of first-degree murder.
Hamed Shafia: Guilty on four counts of first degree murder.
On Sunday afternoon, after 15 hours of deliberation, the jury of five men and seven women returned with their verdict.
Guilty: Jury finds Shafia family members guilty of first-degree murder - thestar.com

Scum of the earth. Shame we got rid of the death penalty. There's no defense for such barbaric acts.

#14 ·
Yo, Groove. Glad to be back.

As much as I'm delighted the three accused are going to spend a good long time in jail (hopefully with the crusty old patriarch himself dying behind bars one day soon), I am struck by the loss of four innocent women, three of whom who were really just beginning their lives. The utter senseless of these deaths saddens me.

#15 ·
Agreed.

Somehow I believe the phrase "Honour killing" is a bad translation. Clearly there was no honour to be found amongst these three.

#23 ·
The murders were motivated by the religious beliefs of the perpetrators. You or I or anyone else may have a different interpretation of what Islam teaches, but that's not relevant to what the perpetrators of this crime believed.

It is also perfectly fair to say that Islam does not teach that flying planes in to skyscrapers or blowing yourself up in a crowed market is a good thing to do, but that does not change the fact that the people who do these things are religiously motivated.

The point is, when people are raised to believe crazy things, they'll often do crazy stuff.

Thus I contend that getting some of the crazy out of our culture would be a good thing.

#24 ·
It is this kind of thinking that leads to racial profiling... there are lunatic fringes in every aspect of society... that SOME people are Muslim who carry out these acts does not mean it was religiously motivated as if they actually followed the tenets of their religion they would not do such things, they are simply deluded people who happen to belong to a certain religion and in their delusion blame or attribute their acts to the religion. They exist (or come from) in a culture of hate and violence, not in a religion that promotes these things.

To attribute religion as the cause is to misappropriate the source cause and leads to prejudice and worse.

#30 ·
This is a product of patriarchial culture, not this particular religion. It is a problem in India with intercast relationships. There were instances in Italy either during or just after WWII with local girls fraternizing with troops. In general where males are deemed to reign supreme, there will be instances of them taking absolute and fatal power.

There is also a cultural element of mass conformity. they had a call in on CBC at lunch. They talked of an incident where the local community did not like how a father was handling his daughters and were putting pressure on him to " take care of it ".

I think an important message has been well sent. first it was a jury and not a judge. Second it was fairly even - 7 women, 5 men. Third, it did not take them long to send the message.

#32 ·
This is a product of patriarchial culture, not this particular religion. It is a problem in India with intercast relationships. There were instances in Italy either during or just after WWII with local girls fraternizing with troops. In general where males are deemed to reign supreme, there will be instances of them taking absolute and fatal power.

There is also a cultural element of mass conformity. they had a call in on CBC at lunch. They talked of an incident where the local community did not like how a father was handling his daughters and were putting pressure on him to " take care of it ".

I think an important message has been well sent. first it was a jury and not a judge. Second it was fairly even - 7 women, 5 men. Third, it did not take them long to send the message.
Exactly...

#57 ·
Thank you, Sinc. I do tire when I hear/read of all academics being painted with the same brush. We are as different/caring/understanding/obtuse/pedantic/emphahetic/foolish/loving/understanding/hateful as any other group of people. Paix, mon ami.

#66 ·
Well this got off-track..

Anyone feel a touch sorry for the 21-year old who was brainwashed in this culture and subsequently "forced" to follow or face ostracization/victimization?

Not at all condoning the act, just trying to perhaps see it from his perspective.
I don't feel sorry for a 21 year old who was "brainwashed"...

I was "brainwashed" to be a Catholic... that lasted until I was about 13 when I started to read more, learn more and think for myself...

I have been agnostic ever since, so no I don't have sympathy for a 21 year old who wasn't intellectually or emotionally strong enough to do that...

It seems some of the females in the family had enough "balls" to reject the brainwashing, too bad the males didn't as well.

#67 ·
i don't feel sorry for a 21 year old who was "brainwashed"...

I was "brainwashed" to be a catholic... That lasted until i was about 13 when i started to read more, learn more and think for myself...

I have been agnostic ever since, so no i don't have sympathy for a 21 year old who wasn't intellectually or emotionally strong enough to do that...

It seems some of the females in the family had enough "balls" to reject the brainwashing, too bad the males didn't as well.
+1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.