Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Dr. Who - 50 years/800 episodes - in 10 minutes.

735 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr_AL 
#1 ·
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#2 ·
I recall watching when I was much, much younger, I always liked the show, but wasn't what you might call a huge fan. Stopped watching after number 5...but only vaguely remember Doc #1. Numbers 2,3, and 4 were the big ones for me.

#3 ·
The current incarnation (from 2005 onwards) has been a joy overall. I kind of like it that occasionally they still have a klunker that doesn't quite work or a bold experiment that enrages the hard-core fans ... keeps things healthy.

I've been on board since Doctor #2 though I skipped Doctor #3 and had to come back round to him after re-discovering the show years later. Have been a pretty faithful viewer and fan ever since, even when the BBC was actively doing its best to kill the thing.

The current lead, Matt Smith, is to my mind the best since Tom Baker and Tom was the best since Pat Troughton. I look at the old shows I don't see "cheap," I see "look what they managed to accomplish with such scant resources!" :)

Since the 2005 revival they haven't really needed to worry about resources, but remarkably its still recognizably the same show. Like any long collection of short stories (which is what Doctor Who is, really), it goes up and down a bit but overall it's been the best ride on television for 49 years now and I've been very privileged to have met, written about and worked with some of the fine people involved.

#4 ·
I got on board with Doctor #4, and stayed for 4, 5, & 6, and maybe a couple episodes of 7. Started back up again with 9 and part of 10. Lost track of what time and day the shows are, and what network they are on.

#5 ·
Doctors 4, 5, 6 and 7 were my era. Haven't got back into it, but I have enjoyed the spinoff "Torchwood", especially as it is filmed in my hometown, about 1 mile from my house. Just don't get me started on the continuity errors...!

#6 ·
Some of the episodes since 2005 have been some of the best Doctor Who ever, quite honestly. And there's one or two that rank up there with some of the most mediocre Doctor Who ever. :)

But at least once per season, without fail, they make me think to myself "this is bloody great television."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.