Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Costa Concordia disaster a tourist attraction?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  JumboJones 
#1 ·
#12 ·
I think there's a pretty big difference between the two photos. The 9/11 one, what were those people supposed to do, pull a perma stunned face they were quite far away watching the goings on.
Well I guess we all dealt with it in different ways, but for myself and pretty much everyone I know, while it was happening our world stopped. But hey, they're already on fire, sooner we move on the better...

But what I think they both have in common for me is they're both too soon. Maybe for others it's time for "Passenger of the Costa Concordia and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" t-shirt.

#5 ·
Yeah, they're idiots -- unless they're survivors of the disaster, in which case I'd cut them some slack. But I'm guessing there are no survivors hanging around the island, and if there are they're people waiting on word of missing loved ones... so it's highly unlikely those are survivors in the photo.

Either way, tourists using the wreck as a backdrop for snapshots seems pretty trivial compared to the many things that went so wrong, almost all of them attributable to gross incompetence...

The latest tidbit I read last night was that certain wealthy passengers successfully bribed their way to priority lifeboat-boarding. Disgusting.

Costa Concordia disaster: Wealthy Russians ?bribed crew with fistfuls of cash to skip lifeboat queue? - International - Scotsman.com

#6 ·
Yeah, they're idiots -- unless they're survivors of the disaster, in which case I'd cut them some slack. But I'm guessing there are no survivors hanging around the island, and if there are they're people waiting on word of missing loved ones... so it's highly unlikely those are survivors in the photo.

Either way, tourists using the wreck as a backdrop for snapshots seems pretty trivial compared to the many things that went so wrong, almost all of them attributable to gross incompetence...

The latest tidbit I read last night was that certain wealthy passengers successfully bribed their way to priority lifeboat-boarding. Disgusting.

Costa Concordia disaster: Wealthy Russians ?bribed crew with fistfuls of cash to skip lifeboat queue? - International - Scotsman.com
Well I thought about this for a moment.. hmm.. I would do the same if mine and my family’s life is on the line. It is a fight for survival.

But to sit there with your fur coat shrugged off the shoulder smiling like look at me is a pathetic human being. I have been trying to focus on the photo to see if it a fake because I can't believe someone would do such a thing, but maybe again my faith in humanity takes another hit.

#7 ·
I dunno. Tons of people have had their pictures taken at the Frank slide or Auschwitz or Pompeii. Disasters are natural tourist magnets. Would it be different if they weren't smiling? Or if they had finished retrieving all the bodies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.