Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Rogers breaking rules by choking off online traffic: CRTC

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  screature 
#1 ·
Rogers breaking rules by choking off online traffic: CRTC

Glad I'm not with Rogers...

Rogers Communications Inc., is breaking Canada's Internet traffic management rules by deliberately slowing down certain online traffic, the country's telecommunications regulator said Friday.

In a letter to Rogers posted to its website Friday, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commissions said it is "of the belief" that the telecom giant is in breach of the rules governing how Internet Service Providers control the flow of traffic on their networks.

"Within two weeks, I look forward to you either presenting us with a rebuttal of our evidence or providing us with a plan to come into compliance with the (Telecommunications) Act," writes Andrea Rosen, CRTC's chief compliance and enforcement officer. "Failure to provide a meaningful rebuttal or an effective plan will result in my recommendation to Commissioners to hold a show-cause hearing."...

#2 ·
If true, I may have to change my mind with respect to the usefulness of the CRTC. <shudders at the thought>

#3 ·
Hey they're a big corporation. One of King Harpos guys. By definition what they do is right. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
Bingo! Since CRTC is an agency, identifying Rogers as the corporation seemed redundant, and yes we do need a sarcasm emoticon. I was implying that the neocon types would be completely out of line to complain.

Still I hope for the sake of others that use Rogers, the CRTC will develop a bit of a backbone and put an end to the choking. Who knows maybe King Harpo will just keep out of the way and let the CRTC do their job. (Sorry just day dreaming...):)

#6 ·
Either way, it's good that there is a watchdog and even better if they are able to do something about abuses of the system. We shall see, as Dr. G says.

#15 ·
It's a good article. I like the fact that someone actually got Rogers to admit they had a bug on their side, which isn't that easy to prove. I have a feeling their tech support likes to blame the user most of the time. I wonder what dates the software bug was in effect? It almost sounds like they fixed it already.

As for traffic shaping, I think there's a valid case for it, to make sure that "time sensitive" traffic arrives on time such as TV network video signals, online gaming traffic, etc. I just wish Rogers would be more open with it, by listing what traffic they shape, and any bugs they had and when they were fixed.

This would actually address the situation that they got in trouble with, with the CRTC, by the sounds of it.

#16 ·
As for traffic shaping, I think there's a valid case for it, to make sure that "time sensitive" traffic arrives on time such as TV network video signals, online gaming traffic, etc.
I don't. You should pay for a certain speed of connection and receive that, based on how much you're willing to pay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.