Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Silly question about changing email addresses.

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GratuitousApplesauce 
#1 ·
We’re switching ISPs from Rogers to Bell and as a result, it’s been brought to my attention that we really shouldn’t be using our provider’s server for email. At least I think that’s it. Anyway, my three family members and I have got ourselves gmail accounts and as such, I need to let everyone on my contact list know that my email address is changing.

Does anyone know if changing email addresses is just a matter of doing a mass email to all my contacts or is there a smarter and/or easier way of doing this? Any input is appreciated.

-Bill

#6 ·
Beware of hidden contracts with Bell. Have heard more than a few horror tales of people discovering that they had signed up for multi year contracts with out even knowing it.

#7 ·
What is the problem with using your SP for your email?

I have been using my local SP for email for many years and have had no problems of any kind. In fact the great majority of those in my contacts are with their SP's. Would those who have been critical of this please explain why? Are there special advantages to any of the others like gmail, hotmail, aol. Is one of these better that the others? I am just talking about emailing mainly family and personal friends. No business use.

#8 ·
The advantage to using a provider like Gmail is that, unlike many ISPs, they properly maintain their servers, have real spam filtering, and are much less likely to have service outages. The primary benefit is that if you decide to switch ISPs, you don't have to change email addresses.

The thing using an ISP's email does is limit your freedom to choose another provider.

#9 ·
In addition to what John Clay has posted: Burloak, you probably have been lucky enough to never move out of the home you were probably born in. When people move homes or cities or even countries as a matter of routine (such as me for example), it is quite irritating for all your contacts to keep receiving emails from you about address changes; plus there is always that one person who either did not receive the update or did not bother to update their list and completely forgot you have a new email address.

Hence, an email address that will stay constant irrespective of where you are in the world - which precludes any ISP.

Cheers

#11 ·
I would advise going one further and rather than use Gmail or some other provider, buy yourself a personal or business domain name and have your email forwarded from your domain to Gmail or to your ISP email account.

1) It looks far more professional if you use your email for business of any kind.

2) Your email address never has to change again ever. I was lucky enough that I have a relatively unusual last name and was able to buy the .ca domain for my last name. Now I have a personal email address myfirstname @ mylastname.ca. I've gone through 3 different ISPs in 10 years, but have kept the same email address.

3) While Gmail may be more reliable than your ISP, they can also completely lose your account. And they're so big and your little freebie email account is so insignificant to them that you might never get it back. I've had this happen to me and never got an answer other than robo-emails about my service ticket. My Gmail account password stopped working and I couldn't get in. Fortunately it didn't matter, I was just using it for a spare email for submitting to web site accounts.

4) Domains are inexpensive -- less than $10/year. You can get different ones for different uses and have them all forward to the same email account. Most email software including OSX Mail, will allow you to send from different email addresses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.