Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Learn a new language - Rosetta Stone?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Joker Eh 
#1 ·
Has anyone here used Rosetta Stone and have success in learning a new language? I know it is all what you put into it but is Rosetta Stone worth it?

I want to learn Italian and then French.

#2 ·
I learned French in school here in Canada, but it rapidly evapourated. While living in London I regularity visited France (mostly Paris) and wanted to revisit what I'd forgotten since high school and got the Rosetta Stone French... et ça marchait très bien!

#3 ·
I learned French in school here in Canada, but it rapidly evapourated. While living in London I regularity visited France (mostly Paris) and wanted to revisit what I'd forgotten since high school and got the Rosetta Stone French... et ça marchait très bien!
I had to Google that, lol. Which levels did you complete in the series? They have 5 levels.

I want to learn Italian because my girlfriends family is Italian and I want to learn French because my girlfriend teaches French.

#4 ·
I'd be very interested in this too! I think Italian and German would be cool to learn. And maybe Swedish too...

#5 ·
been looking into this as well, to add to my list of languages I have some level of understanding in. The level 1 to 3 units are all that most folks would need. I get the impression that level 4 and 5 are quite advanced. Maybe if u were moving to a country that uses that language? For fun and/or travel, I am looking at doing just the first 3. Unless there is some decent sale on, in which case getting all 5, if they have them for the language u are looking at might be worthwhile. But watch for sales and discounts as they seem to have them a lot.

#6 ·
I have done some searching on some reviews of Rosetta Stone, but all I could find are so called "honest" reviews but they all sell their own language learning method, so I useless if you ask me. The same value as the reviews on Rosetta on website.

#7 ·
u learn using an immersion method, not a translation method. Immersion is the only way to fluency and ease in a second or third language. Try out the sample lessons on their web site.

Tackle one language first. French and Italian are both latin/romance languages. The second one will be easier to pick up after u get the other. I found Spanish quite easy to pick up after years of French instruction (another latin tongue). Italian from Spanish is easier than Italian from French, I believe. I would start with the one that u might have some background with already. If u went to school in Canada, that is likely French. Build the skill in that and than tackle Italian. Unless you want to wow the future in-laws?

#8 ·
Hi,

I'm French and I can speak English, Spanish and German flently.

I used Rosetta Stone to learn Spanish.

But travelling was the best way for me to learn foreign languages.

Probably because I love travelling, I'm now a qualified French teacher. I know how hard it can be to learn a foreign language. I remember.

I got a job in Mexico. Couldn't speak Spanish at all. But I had to open a bank account, look for a flat, talk to the landlord...make friends!

It was really hard at the beginning.
Especially because I didn't really know how to learn Spanish on my own.

Classes, private tutoring, software, textbook, TV, songs... I tried everything until I understand how I learned best.

That's the main thing. Your learning profile. If your visual, mathematical/logical, linguistic, tactile or more auditory.
Which are your strongest intelligences?
What senses do you prefer to use as you learn?

I found I was more visual than auditory. So it was good in this way to learn Spanish with Rosetta Stone - and it worked (for me).
I'm more linguistic than mathematical. Need detailed explanations for grammar purposes instead of only pattern. In this way, Rosetta wasn't great. I had to buy a grammar book to understand.

I think Rosetta Stone is still very expensive. What are you looking for? There are a few websites with free French lessons.

Now I'm trying to help people learning French online for free(LearnFrenchLab.com) because I missed it in Mexico (and I love building my website!).

Of course, the best option is to travel and live in the language.
Unfortunately, it's not always possible.

Find your way!
And enjoy! :cool:

#9 ·
Joker, language learning is a personal thing, we each respond differently to various methods. Basically there are two ways one can learn a language. using English as an example, you can learn it via ESL...as a second language, or EFL...as a foreign language....this only means were will one use the target language...so if you want to learn Italian and surround yourself with Italian speakers and only live in that language environment, then you are in an SL situation...but,, if you are still livi g in an English world....then you are in an FL environment....similar to our language learning attempts in high school. From what i have seen of the Rosetta Stone it appears to be an electronic version of the Direct Method made famous by Berlitz..at issue is whether the lessons use ”real” language and, whether you can retain if not put into application. For me the best method for
you would be to take classes and talk with people who speak the language...it sounds like you have that pipleline so why not use it.

#14 ·
My daughter used Rosetta Stone to augment her school studies in Spanish. It really helped her pronunciation and ear for important subtleties. She now speaks it fluently.

The other nice thing is that you can do it at your own pace....nice and slow (repeat as many lessons as many times as you want) or, if need be, cram it quickly.

I'd recommend all three levels if you want to gain a reasonable level of conversational skills.

I'd also second the opinions of those who recommend you tackle one language at a time. Otherwise you may be tres confuso... capiche?

#15 ·
My daughter used Rosetta Stone to augment her school studies in Spanish. It really helped her pronunciation and ear for important subtleties. She now speaks it fluently.

The other nice thing is that you can do it at your own pace....nice and slow (repeat as many lessons as many times as you want) or, if need be, cram it quickly.

I'd recommend all three levels if you want to gain a reasonable level of conversational skills.

I'd also second the opinions of those who recommend you tackle one language at a time. Otherwise you may be tres confuso... capiche?
Good for her... In some ways I would rather be able to speak Spanish than French.

I think I will have to start the Rosetta Stone soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.