Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Finally! New program guide coming from Rogers

8K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  dstanic 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
The current ui that the guide is comprised of is just plain ugly. This update is mainly to eke pace with the slicker looking ui of the Bell Fibe TV boxes.

#6 ·
Is there a way to force this update? Or will it just happen when it happens?

#8 ·
From the pictures that I see here and on other Rogers related sites about this I think this will only work on the newer Cisco Explorer 86xx HD boxes. I wonder if this
update will open up the usb or firewire ports...

#11 ·
I hope this new Rogers On Demand interface is faster than the current On Demand interface. The current On Demand interface is slow as Molasses.

As for the Guide, I'll wait and see what it's like before commenting.

as far as I know, all my boxes are new Cisco boxes. One is rented, the other I bought. I think buying a box is gonna bite me in the butt, Rogers seems to keep on updating/changing them.

#12 ·
I hope this new Rogers On Demand interface is faster than the current On Demand interface. The current On Demand interface is slow as Molasses.
As for the Guide, I'll wait and see what it's like before commenting.

as far as I know, all my boxes are new Cisco boxes. One is rented, the other I bought. I think buying a box is gonna bite me in the butt, Rogers seems to keep on updating/changing them.
Check the link to the rogers website.

#13 ·
I know the ui is ugly at sin but it's easy to use and is simple. The new ui is going to be complicated as hell and annoying. Developers these days try to make things to feature rich they implement useless junk nobody wants or needs... mark my words... you will all regret the new guide! beejacon :lmao::lmao::lmao:

#14 ·
If you've ever used a TIVO, the thing is extremely simple to use. I don't find anything about the Rogers UI simple, even the basic features are poorly laid out, but the lack of basic functionality is appalling. Once you have those features, it's really hard to do without.

I haven't seen or used the new Rogers program guide, and coming from Rogers... there is a high chance that they'll muck it up. I will be cautiously optimistic that it will have some of the features I'm desperately looking for.

PS... anybody have their's updated yet?

#18 ·
Nope not still yet.

#20 ·
My family and I rent 2 Cisco PVR's and neither one has been pushed and update.

#21 ·
Yeah, I haven't seen this update yet, either.

#22 ·
I have 2 cisco's PVRs one I bought from costco and other I get for free from Rogers.
I still have the old interface, but that said I read on the website they want to charge $40 for the enhanced look, plus the chance to sync both recordings on the PVRs. So that said they can kiss my rear end.. I am so sick of them nickel and dime us to death.
as for Rogers on Demand - it works only 50% of time i want to watch it, it is slow and painful not to mention pixels all the time.

#23 ·
I don't know where you got the $40 from.

Coming soon! These upgrades will be made available at no additional charge to customers with Enhanced HD Boxes and PVRs.
We're Enhancing Your Rogers TV Experience!

You may be talking about this.

Whole Home PVR

Enjoy a seamless TV entertainment experience with an Enhanced HD PVR.
Connect up to 8 Enhanced HD PVRs and Enhanced HD Boxes in your house. Up to 6 Enhanced HD Boxes can be connected to up to 2 Enhanced HD PVRs
Enjoy the flexibility to watch the same recorded program in up to 4 rooms at once4. Pause, fast-forward or rewind a program you're watching in one room without disrupting people watching somewhere else in your house
Start watching a recorded show in one room and finish watching where you left off in another room

Call us at 1 866 516-3830 after February 7, 2012 to make an appointment (professional installation required – one-time $49.99 fee*).

#26 ·
Not yet!

I'm beginning to wonder about this. I did receive a booklet in the mail on the subject a few weeks back. I should check the date(s) on that. Because February has come and gone. March is almost is over, and no new guide.

#28 ·
Sorry for updates. I have the update. If you call Rogers, they can manually push the update to you. (At least, they could for me)

Don't bother.

The new program guide is a pile of $#!!. :mad:

It looks pretty, it has some nice features, but it's bug ridden.

- Random recordings will give me error messages.
- It can be very slow, and unresponsive.
- Some things are taken away. Most notably, you can't do slow motion, or advance forward or backward frame by frame. I love doing this for reviewing soccer highlights, but also if I want to take a picture of a specific frame.
- Their's just these weird quirks here and there that make no sense.

It's half-baked, and I'm calling Rogers to see if I can go back to the old guide for now.

Man, I wish Tivo was available in Canada, or if Apple would spank Rogers @$$ and show them how to do hardware / interface.

#30 ·
- Random recordings will give me error messages.
- It can be very slow, and unresponsive.
- Some things are taken away. Most notably, you can't do slow motion, or advance forward or backward frame by frame. I love doing this for reviewing soccer highlights, but also if I want to take a picture of a specific frame.
- Their's just these weird quirks here and there that make no sense.
you mean there is nothing new.. I always have issues with my recordings and ROD.. it is lame.. now the pluckers - make me watch commercials.. and I am disallowed to fast forward them .. A$$Holes.. why have ROD and force me to watch commercials I do it because I want more family time not less watching commercials..

it takes sooo long to connect to ROD or TMN too.

#31 ·
Good; then I'm happy that i'm "stuck" with the old guide.

Perhaps they aren't pushing it to old subscribers because they know it stinks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.