Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Rogers raising price of internet plans by $2 per month

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  fjnmusic 
#1 ·
I did a goggle search and can't find anything about this, but i just received a letter from rogers in my mailbox informing me that effective march 1st they'll be raising the cost on "some" of their internet packages (and by "some" they mean all but one of them - the most expensive Ultimate package) by $2.

I actually found this on their website :

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/rate-increase-info

I just re-enrolled in a promotional package from them on dec 1st. It's a decent promotion (35% off) but I'm tied to a 1 year commitment (where if i cancel i have to pay back all the money saved with the 35% off over how long i've had it). I'm just wondering if by them raising the rate that breaks my obligation?

#5 ·
I wouldn't go with Bell since they're also part of the problem with Canada's expensive ISP rates and they use DSL which is slow in my area.

There are a few cable resellers in the GTA, Acanac, Primus...maybe a couple others as well, but i'd probably switch to Teksavvy if i was to make the change.

But it turns out they've also announced a price increase (effective in feb) a few days ago in response to the CRTC implementing "capacity rate billing". I'm sure the other resellers will also have to follow suit.

So i'm guessing that Rogers is raising their rates in response to the other companies having to pay more for their wholesale costs. So they make more money from both their wholesale and current customers.

sickening.

#7 ·
Man, I have to check my Rogers bill when I get home. I thought I had the second fastest package they had, but if memory serves me, I pay 40 something for my internet which puts me at Express (the speeds sound right).

I wonder if Extreme would improve my connection and XBox 360 online gaming? I see there is a difference in the upload speed, and of course the download. But after 12Mbps, I would imagine the download speed doesn't matter for online gaming, but I would think doubling my upload speed may help for multiplayer online gaming. Of course the thing that REALLY matters is the latency (or ping time) which is the real speed and not all this volume nonsense.

But $13 more a month is alot for doubling my upload and download speeds.

#8 ·
Man, I have to check my Rogers bill when I get home. I thought I had the second fastest package they had, but if memory serves me, I pay 40 something for my internet which puts me at Express (the speeds sound right).

I wonder if Extreme would improve my connection and XBox 360 online gaming? I see there is a difference in the upload speed, and of course the download. But after 12Mbps, I would imagine the download speed doesn't matter for online gaming, but I would think doubling my upload speed may help for multiplayer online gaming. Of course the thing that REALLY matters is the latency (or ping time) which is the real speed and not all this volume nonsense.

But $13 more a month is alot for doubling my upload and download speeds
Really? That seems pretty cheap to me, depending on the price you are paying to begin with.

#10 ·
I am on a 35% off promo with rogers, so that actually takes it JUST under what teksavvy charges (even with the $2 increase) because teksavvy will be raising their rate for the extreme plan by $4 (although to be fair teksavvy offers more than 3 times the bandwidth cap.)

I would still switch right now if i knew those rates were going to be stable, but apparently teksavvy is warning customers they may have to raise rates again because of the added cost of capacity rate billing. Now that i know that, I think i'm going to wait it out and see what happens.

My feeling is when my commitment with Rogers is over, if the fees remain the same i'll switch to teksavvy. I'm actually been leaning to switch to them for more than a year, but when i called in to Rogers to cancel they offered me the 35% discount promo which is the only reason i stayed. This will also give me time to switch over all my rogers email addresses to something else so i longer have any real ties with them.

side note - incase anyone else is on rogers and wants the same - call up and ask to speak to customer retentions and let them know you're thinking of switching to teksavvy. They should offer you 35% off of internet with a 1 year commitment.

#12 ·
not really. they are currently slightly cheaper than teksavvy will be come feb 2. ( by a couple of bucks, and only because i'm on a 35% off promo - without it teksavvy would be much cheaper), but rogers also only gives less than a third of the bandwidth cap. that's really poor in comparison.

currently i rarely go over my cap, but when i tried netflix for a month i quite easily shot over it by watching a lot of hd content.

#14 ·
Tech savvy is rasing prices by $10 per month in feb

#16 ·
I have a serious problem with the notion that "we're going make you sign a three year contract (maximum two years in the US), but we reserve the right to change the prices during the term of your contract and you just have to accept it." Seems to me when you alter the terms of the contract, including the price, you've just nullified the contract. What's to stop them from raising the price by $100 a month? Or $1000? No matter ow you slice it, the telcos are changing the terms of your contract without giving you the option of opting out without penalty. It should be illegal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.