Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Mild Snowless Weather - Southern Ontario

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
The same here in St.John's. On average, by now we usually have about 150-175cm of snowfall in Nov/Dec/early Jan., with about 75-100cm still on the ground. As of today, we have had about 80cm of snowfall, but there is next to no snow on the ground. I am not complaining, since our winter snowfall season does not end until early May .......... but that is only 4 months away and right now we could not have a good snowball fight with the amount of snow on the ground in my neighborhood.

#12 ·
Whenever St.John's gets under 10 feet of snow in a winter, we run the risk of drought in July, with water bans on the use of water outside. This year, with just over two feet of snow, we run that same risk, although we have gotten more rain than normal which will help, and the ground is not yet frozen, so the water goes into the ground and just does not run off into storm sewers.

#5 · (Edited)
Last year, up until this time, South Eastern New Brunswick we had roughly the same amount of snow as this year.

Last year between this time of the year and spring we got clobbered with snowmegdon levels of snow, even making the national news for the accomplishment.

This year in the Pacific Ocean the little boy has gone away and the little girl has made her presence known. (El Niño and La Niña)

I fear for the possibilities.

#7 ·
I would call this winter mild to date. Seems our snow and frigid temps have been downloaded to Russia.:D

OTOH the past three winters were severe, last winter was extremely severe. So the Weather Gods certainly owed us this one.

#8 ·
Park City, UT is experiencing the worst (driest) winter in at least 40 years. I've heard anecdotal comments of worst ever but have no confirmation. Current accumulation below the manmade base on the mountains is about 1 inch. It snowed a fair bit yesterday and they are avalanche blasting in the hills (new snow over poor ice base is dangerous) but it's pretty desolate from a snow perspective.

#10 ·
yeah and seemingly, a daily occurrence, but maybe that's just me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.