Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Dude, you're getting a Dell whether you want it or not!

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  fjnmusic 
#1 ·
How would you advise?

My friend who is super HONEST, and worries if she doesn't pay her phone bill the day she receives it, has a problem. Actually, her +1 (we'll call him R) has the problem, and he's even sillier about these things, if that's possible.

He decided he wanted a new computer so he called Dell because they would finance it for him (at 29%). After discussing options, he decided not to buy. But by this time he as given them his address and his debit card number.

Next day, he gets a call informing him the shipping charges. He said he didn't order anything and was told he was getting charged shipping and he'd have to pay it and then the "agent" hung up on him.

R then called Dell again and asked for a supervisor who confirmed that there was no order in his name.

Next day when R was out, Purolater delivered 3 boxes to his neighbor's house. A computer, printer and another box with cables and stuff.

Another call to Dell resulted in delivery of some return labels. R immediately slapped on the return labels and Purolater picked up the boxes.

Then a barrage of phone calls from "Dell" offered all manner of fantastic deals all of which R rejected. Also, he's received 3 more sets of return labels, so he's wondering if more computers are on their way to him.

Smells like a scam to me. I suggested that he talk to the scam folks at the RCMP.

I wonder if the return labels have an address not owned by Dell and the returned goods get sold on Craig's list.

What do you think?

See less See more
#3 ·
If he called Dell to begin with, it isn't a scam. Is he certain he called Dell?

If he called Dell to get return labels and received them, there obviously was an order. I think the problem began with him handing over his debit card information. Did R call the bank to see if any charges had been made against his account?

#4 ·
Although I agree with Tech and macfury, and you only asked 'what do you think?' Not sure if there is anything anyone here can do.
As you queried about the labels, do the return labels have a legit return address? Ask R as he would have the answer seeing as he has the labels. Call Dell and find out where the returns are sent, if they don't jive, there's your answer. Start there.

#5 ·
Thanks. Although R likes to be brutally honest, it's been difficult to get straight answers to questions like those you suggest.

I don't think Dell or anyone can get money on a debit card over the phone can they?

If it isn't a scam, perhaps he's just having buyers remorse and has cooked up this story so he won't have to tell my friend the truth.

I can stay at arms length from te whole situation, so it doesn't affect me. It just sounded very strange. If someone at Dell keeps calling and offering more deals.

And yes, he should have bought a Mac :D

#11 ·
My advice- don't throw out the labels. don't throw out anything, don't give anything back until you have absolute proof you aren't being charged- for at least three months! document everything, don't discard any documents paper or electronic. I would hold those labels indefinitely. Speaking from experience.
I should add- by document everything.. the name of the person you talk to in insufficient. Get an id #, a reference # for the call, an employee id#, get every number you can ask for- don't take anything less, don't take any bullsh 'it's ok' crap. Get the official numbers and identifications for every call.

#16 ·
Your debit card (we're talking bank cards, right?) doesn't typically have enough information on it to access your bank account without additional info, like a PIN or online banking password.

Now if he meant he gave his bank account info over the phone (bank number/bank name, account number and transit is all that's needed), then yes, they can set up a pre-authorized bank payment. (That's typically what's required... all of that information is on a cheque, so usually it's easier to ask someone to send in a void cheque so that they don't mess up which number is which.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.