Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Single serve coffee makers

4K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Andrew Pratt 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I have a Breville single serve brewer and, like you, I also grind my own beans. It takes the traditional pods, should you like to go that route, but it also comes with it's own filter you can use for brewing whatever you like. Cuisinart makes a single server brewer with a filter as well, I believe.

#6 ·
Cuisinart makes a single server brewer with a filter as well, I believe.
Cuisinart has teamed up with Keurig for their single serve machine.
I have and use a Keurig and am very happy with the consistently great coffee, But I admit that I grind my own beans and use refillable k-cups.

#15 ·
Moi aussi.

French press as a fall back, like now because a visiting friend broke the handle off of my very expensive (relatively speaking) moka pot when she dropped it on the floor.

A couple of things in my experience: look for one that has a silicone and not a rubber seal, it lasts a lot longer and two, stainless steel beats aluminum hands down. You pay more for a machine like that but having had el cheapo ones before it is well worth it.

#10 ·
hi, as MacDoc suggested, the Saeco Aroma or even it's little brother, the Via Veneto would be better than a pod type espresso machine. both can used with any 53mm unpressurized portafilter for better results. I used to have a similar machine to the Aroma, then graduated to a Rancilo Silvia and now have made the move to a double boiler Expobar Brewtus. you also should take into account the importance of a decent grinder, this really makes a hugh difference. I also upgraded the grinder from a blade to a burr grinder and finally settled on a commercial Mazzer - all of my purchases have been second hand. there are some good deals to be hand via your local classified and sites such as CoffeeGeek's B&S forum

I recently helped a friend purchase a pre loved Saeco Aroma for $200 via Craigslist. he's using it with an unpressurized portafilter - which requires a little more user intervention when it comes to measuring the amount of coffee, tamping and extracting.

A Via Veneto can be found for about $175 new and a decent entry level burr grinder (such as a Baratza Maestro) would offer an excellent starter combo. Add some fresh coffee, a tamper and regular (non fake crema portafilter) - the results might impress you.

just be prepared for a little learning curve as with all new hobbies.

If the idea of an dedicated espresso machine does not work for you, a french press with good quality coffee would be my second choice. if brewed correctly, you can achiever some great tasting coffee.

hope this helps.

#11 ·
Yeah I got my Aroma for $220 used - had it for 18 months, got it serviced - ran another 2 years then a rebuild which basicly takes it to new for $80 all in.

You do have to learn the tamping a bit and the correct grind is very important - don't cheap out on the grinder.

But great results very quickly.

French press is my fall back and again grind is critical as is getting the water superheated for good results.

A tip is to only press the plunger as far as you want coffee immediately....then the rest does not oxidize.

#13 ·
I picked one of those up but was not impressed with the outcome.

No crema, and very difficult to get an even flow through. I think it wastes a lot of coffee compared to a French press or an espresso machine.

#14 ·
I had the tassimo before. It fell short of expectations, selection was really.. poor.

I now have a small Keruig mini. They offer a special cartridge that you can put your own grinds in and make your own coffee blends or if your like me. The big ole can of Tim Hortons coffee.

The only thing I didn't like about the Keruig is that it takes 2-3 cycles to fill my extra large coffee mug. Small price to pay I suppose. Then again for a $50 machine. I can't whine to much.

#19 ·
Camping?

Prefer similar to the old percolator, makes tea as well...always take along when hunting in the bush.

#22 ·
I've used a french press (Bodum) before, But cleaning them out after was always a hassle,
When I lived in Italy for a year I used the "Moka" pot, But the rubber ring wears out
and I have burned my fingers on them on more than one occasion using them.
Impatience is the clue as to how I was burned.

I even bought and used one when I returned to Canada,
But once I discovered the Melitta system, I threw the Moka pot away.

I still like the drip single cup system and use it daily,
I suppose you need to know the knack to like them.

I drink espresso using them,
Just one very large mug of espresso in the morning and I'm good for the whole day.

:)

#25 ·
I've used a french press (Bodum) before, But cleaning them out after was always a hassle,
When I lived in Italy for a year I used the "Moka" pot, But the rubber ring wears out...

I drink espresso using them,
Just one very large mug of espresso in the morning and I'm good for the whole day.

:)
Indeed they do, that is why I recommended spending a little more and getting one with a silicone seal, they last much, much longer...

Not quite sure how you make espresso using a Melitta drip system though as espresso requires several bars of pressure to achieve espresso.

I used the Melitta drip system for several years when I was younger and it makes decent coffee I just gave up on it as I found it messy and you always have to be buying new filters. With the Moka system you just need the pot and you are good to go... different strokes... glad that the Melitta system makes for the best solution for you though.

All that being said when you have to serve coffee for a lot of people nothing beats an old fashioned percolator... this is the one we use for such occasions.

#31 ·
I grind my own coffee at home and I know a lot of coffee makers require crappy, low quality pods. Not to mention expensive.

I found this:
Cafe Invento

Which has fantastic reviews but only takes pods. It is beautiful though -like the Mac of coffee makers.

I wonder if there is a way to fashion your own "pod" or something... It does say it takes numerous types... So I'm wondering if the water just rushes through it and I could kind of wrap my own coffee in a filter or something...

Does anyone have any suggestions on either forming your own pods or really good coffee makers?
Jura best machines in the world
Mine is now 6 years old and still going.
Worth every penny

#32 · (Edited)
+1 for a normal old percolator. I have an old Aluminum perk I use to make coffee. No filters, no mess, just recycle the grounds, still the best coffee for me. Except for one thing, cowboy coffee cooked on a campfire with grounds tossed into the cold water along with egg shells and boil for about five minutes, let stand for a few minutes to allow grounds to settle, then pour off top into metal cup. Yum.

#37 ·
I grind my own coffee at home and I know a lot of coffee makers require crappy, low quality pods. Not to mention expensive.

I found this:
Cafe Invento

Which has fantastic reviews but only takes pods. It is beautiful though -like the Mac of coffee makers.
*Disclosure alert* I work for Reunion Island Coffee and I am addicted to caffeine.

That being said don't bother with the invento, they have an extremely high failure rate. I sold a few of these to friends and all had to be exchanged 3 times over the course of 1 year. Extremely embarrassing. Then the Bunn My Café came out and once they all failed for the last time I swapped then out for these, no problems since. I won't give you my obviously bias opinion on the My Café, just google for some online reviews.

So why single cup?
-Quick
-Convenient
-Variety

So if you're looking for the above then a single cup brewer might suit your needs. They don't make sense for households that can consume a pot at a time. My house, I obviously like coffee and my wife is (gasp) a tea drinker, but I married her anyway...

How are pods different than k-cups or t-disks?

1. They are compostable and biodegradable, look like fat round tea bags. Keurig alone sold 3 billion k-cups last year, all contained a compostable/biodegradable product, but enclosed in a non-recyclable plastic.

2. Non-proprietary, so any roaster can make pods, Reunion Island, Kienna, Baronet, Barnies, Wolfgang Puck, they list goes on. What does this mean for the consumer? More competition, lower prices.

3. Less packaging = less expensive.

Looking for a quality cup of coffee and have some time to prepare it then I suggest a french press, chemex, aeropress or coffee dripper for a single cup solution. Or my personal favourite is the Bunn Trifecta, but not everyone has $3000 to spend on a single cup brewer.

I'd be happy to demonstrate any of the above in person if you're in the Oakville area. Or if there are any general coffee questions, I can certainly try answering them as best I can.

So enough of the sales pitch and I certainly won't get you a discount if you PM me ;)

I wonder if there is a way to fashion your own "pod" or something... It does say it takes numerous types... So I'm wondering if the water just rushes through it and I could kind of wrap my own coffee in a filter or something...

Does anyone have any suggestions on either forming your own pods or really good coffee makers?
Yes you can form your own pods, there is a thing called the perfect pod maker, also you can find ways to use regular filters to make them. But the time you spend on making them, testing size, weight and grind settings you might as well fork over the 40¢ for a ready made pod. Believe it or not, there is more R&D that goes into this than one would think.

As for brewers, you can't go wrong with a Bunn, they do one thing and are the best at it.

#38 ·
I'm no longer a coffee drinker, alas (for whatever reason, it upsets my stomach, and I had to give it up years ago) but there are a couple of things that have been discussed here that I feel compelled to respond to:

1. There is absolutely no compelling evidence that eating or drinking out of aluminum pots etc. causes Alzheimer's. It's a persistent and rather common myth. See: Memory Loss Myths & Facts | Alzheimer's Association and many other similar, reputable (ie: evidence-based medicine) sites.

2. There is some advantage to using paper filters over other brewing methods - the paper removes cafestrol, which can raise your LDL somewhat. Good, research-based info on coffee: Ask the Expert: Coffee and Health - Your Nutrition Questions Answered - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health

#39 ·
JJ
Hey is that you Patrick??
Fantastic people - they spoil me to no end :D
great coffee

•••••

Mark - Café Cuba

and the handsome local barista

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.