Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Canadian AID's vaccine on clinical trial

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  screature 
#1 ·
Linky.

The approval from the Food and Drug Administration will lead to further tests that, if successful, could see a vaccine on the market in about five years, researchers from the University of Western Ontario said in announcing the milestone Tuesday morning at the campus in London. Ont.

The vaccine is the first based on a genetically modified, killed whole virus, following a line of research that successfully produced vaccines for polio, rabies and hepatitis A.

It is the only HIV vaccine currently under development in Canada, and one of only a few in the world, said the researchers.
Very cool.

#2 ·
Ultimately the only way to test this is to give the vaccine to half of a large group of people. Then randomly give the virus to half of each sub group thus satisfying the double blind criteria.

This could be a very touchy ethical issue. Fortunately we have the perfect test group at our disposal. I would suggest our MPs should be the guinea pigs. Wonderful thing about choosing this group is that there would be no measurable loss to society. If further testing is required we can always call on our MLAs. I would go so far as to say our MPs have worked incredibly hard at proving themselves useless enough to be the initial test group.

#9 ·
As has been done with previous HIV vaccines, it will be tested on a large population of at-risk individuals, for whom the epidemiological probabilities of contracting AIDS is reasonably well known (by statistical modelling). Any statistically significant decrease in the mean probability of individuals turning up HIV-positive within some defined period of time that is observed in the treated population but not in the placebo population will be taken as evidence that the vaccine is working. So it's just like climate research; we have a statistical model of what we expect to see if we do nothing, and we use statistical deviations from that expectation as evidence that something is happening.

#13 · (Edited)
I never realized there were 30 such vaccines in preliminary testing. I hope that one of them works! (Canada News: Canadian-developed HIV vaccine approved for human studies - thestar.com)

My fear is that STDs may spike if such a vaccine is successful. Not sure why the negative twist. :eek: Needing to take a bit of penicillin beats dying a slow and painful death any day.
I doubt it as there are still plenty of reasons to wear a condom... gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, unwanted pregnancy to name a few.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.