Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Dreaming of a white Christmas???

3K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  Kazak 
#1 ·
I have lived in St.John's, NL for the past 35 years, and last year was our first non-white Christmas. Snow is predicted for next week here in St.John's, so that trend will most likely end. :(

Just curious how many of you are "dreaming of a white Christmas" and expect to see this event ............. and how many of you are dreaming, like myself, for a green Christmas with no snow on the ground?

Regardless of what you would like to see and expect to see, may you all have a peaceful and healthy Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus/etc holiday season.

Paix, mes amis.

#6 ·
Yes, but how much snow, Don? It's been so mild and dry here in the Edmonton area all I see now are patches of snow and ice.

#5 ·
There is a very good chance of it being a green Christmas in our neck of the woods. It was 10C here yesterday with rain, but it has cleared up today and temp will fall over the day with a high of only -9C tomorrow, but sunny.

I really don't care that much one way or the other however in general I don't like winter, although I would have been very disappointed when I was a kid if there were no snow for Christmas.

#12 ·
Amen, Brother Macfury. We shall see.

#10 ·
Around here a Green Christmas is not an option. It will be either white or brown, and white is the preferred choice. Right now just a couple of inches on the ground. Saturday EC is calling for Chinook conditions, Sunday maybe snow. After that nothing but normal winter, so we shall just have to wait and see.

#13 ·
If we want a white Christmas we'll go up into the mountains. There's plenty of snow there. Our local xc hill is opening this weekend and has plenty of snow. (Yes, we can ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon.)

We've had two or three white Christmasses in the 20+ years we've lived here, and although the snow is pretty, it's also very heavy, bringing down trees and powerlines (and hence power outages), and causing traffic chaos. It's fine as long as you don't need to go anywhere and have a good supply of wood, but the west coast isn't really set up for the white stuff.

I'm all for a green Christmas. (If we do get snow, it's usually the end of January or the first week of February, which is, technically, closer to the 'middle' of winter.)

#14 ·
Winnipeg has a light dusting of snow but they're predicting plus 5C on the weekend so it might get a little more brown if it is that warm. Its a novelty for us so we'll take it...but i'm also itching to get snow boarding and kiting so while I'd like a brown Christmas I kind of hope we get a nice dump on boxing day :)

#16 ·
Rain and +3C temps have taken away the last of our snow. All is green and cheery once again here in St.John's (at least for me).

#17 ·
In western Toronto I doubt we'll see any snow from now till Christmas. And even if we do it's just going to melt and be slushy. Though it always seems to be snowing in the Waterloo area on christmas day. Or on the drive home. It's always fun on that stretch of the 401 when there's white out flurries.

#18 ·
Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we have no place to go
Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain.

#19 ·
oh, the weather outside is frightful
but the fire is so delightful
and since we can't go to Spain
let it rain, let it rain, let it rain.
:d

#25 ·
I enjoy the look of the snow, but if we could make it the whole season without snow that'd be great.

None so far in Toronto. We have had a bit of rain and 10C weather.
Lots of rain today and +5C temps have washed away all of our snow, but I fear that more will fall in the next nine days or so. We shall see.

#24 ·
Matters not. White=cross country skiing, brown=motorcycle ride. Either way, there'll be frost malt beverages...

#29 ·
Will these sorts of temps melt all of your snow?

#34 ·
The chinook certainly cleared things out around here. So brown or white will be determined over the next week.

#36 ·
I'll likely be getting my wish for a green Christmas. If it's going to be white I always hope the snow falls before Christmas Eve. I travel outside the city every year and have had my share of white knuckle drives to my family home. I specially hate if it's a major snow Christmas day. I always consider the poor snow plough operators who would rather be home with their loved ones.

I never want to see snow within the city. It's only pretty for the first half hour then turns to an ugly PITA. Snow belongs on the ski hills and snowmobile trails north of Toronto.

#38 ·
Snow is in the forecast for today and the next few days, so I fear that we shall have a white Christmas. :(

#39 ·
Looks like today is it. Starting to snow here in SW AB, but the rest of the week looks to be sunny and cold so it all hinges on how much snow we see today.

#40 ·
Sadly, same here, eMacMan. Environment Canada forecast flurries of about 3cm starting at noon. It started snowing at noon, but in the past 2 1/2 hours we have had about 3 inches of snow fall ............. and it is still coming down hard. Maybe EC has not switched to metric just yet. Whatever, they are forecasting about 10cm of snow by midnight, so by tomorrow morning we should have well over a foot of snow on the ground. We shall see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.