Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

A Very Proud Father

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 ·
I should have wrote about this a couple of weeks ago, but it is a pretty busy season. The other day a co worker was telling me how today's youth are just not the same as when he was young, The same old, kids to day are lazy, uncaring ect.

Well this is not one of those stories. My son, Ronnie (six years old) get an allowance of 5 dollars a week. He earns this by helping out around the house and doing his homework. For the 4 weeks prior to this event he had saved every penny. On the way to his swimming lesson we saw a "Toys for Tots" van. My son said he wanted to be Ronnie Claus and give a gift to a girl and boy. He wanted a Barbie for a girl and a Transformer for a boy. When we went to the Giant Tiger after they were out of the toys he was looking for, so he settled on a ZUI ZUI pet drive in for the girl and Finger skateboards for the boy, proudly walked up to the counter and paid for his purchases. The "Toys for Tots" van was at the local Leon's, he marched up tho the girl in charge and handed over the toys. When the girl asked if he bought the toys, he smiled and said "Yep" and turned to leave.

As it turned out she worked for a local radio station. In the end she was so impressed after I explained that it was indeed his allowance money he saved up. That he is now able to take his mommy and daddy out for dinner with the gift card she gave him. It was an added bonus for an act he did not expect anything for, except the name Ronnie Claus for a day. Not bad for one of today's youth.

See less See more
#2 ·
A great story, Dr.H. This is truly a "spirit of the season" story. Kudos to Ronnie and to his mom and dad. Paix, mon ami.

#4 ·
You gotta love instant karma. Especially good karma.

Please pass along my congratulations to your son.

Congratulations to you and his Mom for investing in good will with the raising of your boy.

#5 ·
Ditto that.

Truly a lot of kids do care, even nicer when they show that sort of initiative at that young age.:clap:

#8 · (Edited)
Congrats to you, your wife and your son. But I honestly can say that I am not surprised due to his age, young kids tend to be more generous and willing to share than older ones.

I remember when I was your son's age I received $0.25 a week allowance and saved it up for a long time as I had nothing really to spend it on. We moved to a new neighbourhood and I met a number of new friend's. On one occasion I was introduced to the fact that at a local corner store you could get mixed up candy for something like $0.10 a bag.

So when I would be playing with my new friends I would say "let's go the store to get some mixed up candy." with their response often being "I can't I don't have any money." to which I would say "That's Ok I do."

And so began the slow decline of all my saved quarters, but I don't recall being sorry about it, it was just money and I couldn't eat it nor could my friends.

#9 ·
Congrats to you, your wife and your son. But I honestly can say that I am not surprised due to his age, young kids tend to be more generous and willing to share than older ones.

I remember when I was your son's age aI received $0.25 a week allowance and saved it up for a long time as I had nothing really to spend it on. We moved to a new neighbourhood and I met a number of new friend's. On one occasion I was introduced to the fact that at a local corner store you could get mixed up candy for something like $0.10 a bag.

So when I would be playing with my new friends I would say "let's go the store to get some mixed up candy." with their response often being "I can't I don't have any money." to which I would say "That's Ok I do."

And so began the slow decline of all my saved quarters, but I don't recall being sorry about it, it was just money and I couldn't eat it nor could my friends.
I just hope we can keep it up and make it a family tradition. Being young certainly has its advantages.

#11 ·
Awesome although I don't hear much about negativity towards children but I love to hear goodness of children/youth. I know there is so much on the news about bad things happening by youth but news is news. Good things are seldom highlighted and as I tell others, "If a child has gone bad, they would have learned it from someone else usually older."
Theft is one thing I was telling the elders years back. If you borrow something and then claim it, it is then theft and if your child sees you doing that, then what are they to think but that theft is okay.
My dad taught me that lesson with a paper clip when I was very young although at the time I didn't know it was a paper clip. It was just pretty and different in my young eyes. :)

#13 ·
Thanks everyone. Being a father is one of the most rewarding things I have ever been a part of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.