Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Bell/Rogers Buy MLSE

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  macintosh doctor 
#1 ·
Finally!!! After driving the Leafs into the ground these past years "protecting their investment" the teachers union has sold their share!!!

#4 ·
ML$E. That's all this is about.

It has nothing to do with sport. Going from the Teacher's Union, to strange bedfellows of Rogers & Bell will do nothing to help sports fans with our local clubs. It's all about money, TV rights, owning content, selling $130 Jerseys, $13 beers and making more money.

It doesn't happen every single time, but for the most part, clubs need to be run by a rich maverick who has a complete and total burning passion to win.

Love him or hate hime, George Steinbrenner was an owner with an absolute will to win (And make money, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive) His team won seven championships and 11 pennants. The fans got improved stadiums, then a new stadium.

Jerry Buss did it with the Lakers. Mark Cuban did it with the Dallas Mavs. Rooney with the Steelers, Robert Kraft with New England, Mike Ilitch with Detroit Red Wings the list goes on and on.

The Leafs need to be owned by a rich maverick who LOVES sports and wants to win. Toronto FC needs to be owned and operated by someone who understands soccer. As long as it's run by board-rooms and shareholders, it will never be truly successful. The culture of the club in huge part it set by the owners. We may get lucky with a run here or success there, but there will never be dynasties or all-time greatest teams with Rogers and Bell.

I'm completely sick and tired of Toronto sports culture and I'm tired of the apathetic fans to be honest.

#10 ·
Jerry Buss did it with the Lakers. Mark Cuban did it with the Dallas Mavs. Rooney with the Steelers, Robert Kraft with New England, Mike Ilitch with Detroit Red Wings the list goes on and on.
You should include a list of single owners who have failed. Don't see Ottawa Sens going anywhere. Coyotes never did anything. Darryl Katz in Edmonton now begging the governments to pay him to build a new stadium. A billionairre holding his hand out. Hmmm. Could go on and on. Wait one more, Ralph Wilson and the Bills. How many rings they have? How good are they now?

#5 ·
As long as the Leafs continue to sell out every home game, what do they have to worry about? If new management can keep asses in seats, nothing will change. Actually winning the Stanley Cup would only be considered a bonus.

#6 ·
That is the problem. When you consider the number of home games (all sold out) and one, possibly two playoff rounds, what incentive is there for MLSE to spend money to get us to the next level. Picking up another multi million dollar salary at the trade deadline will guarantee nothing, and best case scenario would be 6-8 more playoff games. That may pay for the salary of the acquired player, so as an investment its a break even proposition at best. Thats why the leafs have never done it, and as long as they are run as business concern, they never will.

Mayor is right, we need private ownership, but not cheapskate like Harold Ballard.

#7 ·
Best line on John Moore this morning, (I think it was Mike Bullard actually)

The only problem with Rogers/Bell owning the Leafs is that You have to be at home
and the games will start sometime between 7 and 9:30pm...

#13 ·
- do not worry they will still strike demanding job security and more money to do less than they did before.. LOL

as for the rogers and bell purchase.. ( i see no change over operations.. basically keep cashing in on the money machine the leafs are.. ) amazing how bad they are, they make so much cash.. Time for them to introduce another team in southern ontario..but that won't happen because it is more important to Bettman to have teams in southern desert heat states than in the frozen winter of Ontario .. LOL
( at least if another teams comes to southern Ontario - maybe the Leafs will play like they need to, vs playing so they can say they did - for attendance )

#12 · (Edited)
If you thought Leaf marketing and PR was obnoxious before wait for the amplification affect of their 2 owners in their media properties.

Obviously the NHL has no problem with Bell ownership in the Loafs, the Habs, and the Senators.
Just learned that because you own minority ownership and have no controlling stake in the other teams there is no issue.

#16 ·
Speaking as a teacher, I only have two things to add:

1. Yes, it's a good pension. It should be -- we pay 12% of our salary into it. And we pay taxes too, just like everyone else. It's not exactly a free ride. Can we all just calm down about this union/pension business?

2. Finally strangers will stop blaming me personally for the Leafs' track record! Hallelujah!

#17 ·
Speaking as a teacher,

2. Finally strangers will stop blaming me personally for the Leafs' track record! Hallelujah!
Its not your fault they suck LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.