Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Nova Scotia - You're such a joke now

5K views 103 replies 21 participants last post by  Dr.G. 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Should also be mandating buttons on the dangerous ski poles.

#4 ·
How on earth did we survive as kids? No ski helmets, no bike helmets, no seat belts, and cigarette ashes were good for the carpet.

#6 ·
Ski-related head injuries that could have been prevented by helmets cost $6-8million in health care costs each year.

That's their reasoning, and honestly I'm okay with it. Snowboards and jumps and such were not around when we were younger. There is more danger nowadays.

You can't legislate common sense, unfortunately. And then those idiots cost everyone else money.

#10 ·
True but your on public roads. Ski resorts are private property. They have step into a very dangerous area. The next thing they want to tell me is that when I get on that woobly chair to change the light bulb in the privacy of my own home, I will be charged a $250 fine for not wearing a helmet. Or because I took a slip in the bathtub and cracked a few ribs :eek: here is another $250 fine for having a slippery bathtub.

#17 ·
no thing wrong with helmets.. Its not myself that I worry about but the pot smoking loonie that smokes by everyone and causing injuries to everyone around them.. so if a helmet prevents injury then wear it.. :) common sense. ( if you can afford the fine - then ski with out one - simple. )

#22 ·
How's about Newfoundland and Labrador ever give a thought to that province about skiing?

#31 ·
Helmets won't protect you from massive impacts but they will function well to avoid head injuries which would occur from lighter impacts. Person to person impact with both wearing helmets is a far better scenario than without one or both. Take a fall on the ice and a helmet will protect your head. Obviously they aren't going to save you in every instance but I'm pretty sure there are numbers demonstrating a reduction in injuries with the use of helmets (will have to dig to find these). I have had my noggin protected by my helmet for years while on the slopes and wouldn't consider snowboarding/skiing without one.

Not sure how I feel about legally mandated helmet use but I do think it's a good idea for resort operations to enforce helmet rules (at least for children).

#36 ·
people don't necessarily die because of not wearing a seatbelt, many end up with massive severe injuries costing millions in medical costs.
Ain't happenin'.

If I'm lying there like a rutabaga, the plug gets pulled.

#47 ·
It's always about finding the right balance

Despite the skiing context, there is no "slippery slope" here.

As long as we live in communities (i.e. this doesn't apply to the "rugged individualist" Libertarians or Anarchists), we have to make laws that balance the freedoms of the individual against the interests of society. Where the community chooses to find that balancing point is what defines the society.

Personally, I think this is stupid. If adults want to ski without helmets on private property, I can see the property owner wanting them to sign a waiver, but I don't think it's worth making a provincial law about it. I understand the argument in favour of the law, I just don't think this particular social good (fewer injured people) is worth the loss of individual freedom in this case.

#48 ·
personally, i think this is stupid. If adults want to ski without helmets on private property, i can see the property owner wanting them to sign a waiver, but i don't think it's worth making a provincial law about it. I understand the argument in favour of the law, i just don't think this particular social good (fewer injured people) is worth the loss of individual freedom in this case.
+1

#58 ·
Sorry Joker Eh, but once again I hate the title of your thread just like I did with your RIM thread....

Why should Nova Scotia be "such a joke now" just because the government of the day tables legislation that you don't agree with??

It is disrespectful in the extreme...

I haven't lived in the province for 46 years (but I have been back many, many times and still have family there) but I was born there and have 250 years of family history there and I still call it home so I personally for one take offence to the title of your thread...

There is a helluva a lot more to Nova Scotia than this proposed legislation... which really has absolutely nothing to do with Nova Scotia but only the current government which is temporary to say the least...

How would you like it if it I called your home province a JOKE just because I thought some provincial legislation was stupid IMO????

The twains do not meet... So are you prejudice about everything and everyone just based on their most recent actions?

Don't fault an entire province based on the actions of the current government.

#62 ·
i have a better idea.. those who hate rules please leave Canada as a whole buy an island - be as unsafe among yourselves and when you chop/break/harm yourselves because of not wearing helmets/seatbelts etc.. stay there and fix yourselves.. or pull your own plugs.. so it does not tax our Health care over here LOL ( when your little island tries to form a set of rules to live by, I will be sure to show and demand no rules! anarchy for all! )

#68 ·
just a question. The bike helmet law, does that cover private property, or is that just for public roads etc.

Can they really enforce a law like this on private property? Or is it because they're a commercial operation?

I would think you should be able to do what you want on your own land.

#69 ·
Exactly.

This is my whole point of this thread. They are stepping over a line that shouldn't be crossed. The ski resort owner could enforce the requirement himself and everything would be fine because that's his choice on his land. Someone doesn't wear the helmet they don't go up the ski lift or are asked to leave.

But with this you are getting the law involved on private property.

I would argue that if this law was taken to court it would be knocked down.

#85 ·
Especially during the Ha! Ha! Ha!ifax Comedy Festival.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.