Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Dear Apple: STOP USING UPS

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  RunTheWorldOnMac 
#1 ·
I am hoping to build enough noise to have Apple stop using UPS, or force them to use local pick-up spots after a 1st delivery attempt has been made.

Sometimes we don't have the luxury to be home to sign for a package, or have it delivered to work. UPS tries 3 times before sending it to a depot outside of town or near an airport where you can pick them up.

In Ottawa the depot is open 9-11 and 3-7 Monday - Friday. That's convenient for everyone isn't it.

I recently called @UPS out on Twitter about how much gas, time and money is wasted by not having local pick up spots. They are spending profit without reason too. I was told that they have a new service that may interest me.

UPS MY CHOICE

Right off the bat, I'm in Canada where this service is not offered. Secondly, I have to pay to have a package sent to a UPS store? Or I can pay $40 a year to become a premium member and have packages sent to a UPS for free?! :eek:

How does this company exist? I go out of my way and do not shop at retailers who use UPS but sometimes there is no choice.

I recommend everyone go to the above link and leave comments. I also recommend voicing yourself on Twitter!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ditto. I had a reply back from UPS on Twitter saying they are there to help.

We're here if you need us. ^ST @ups
:mad:

I just don't know why they can't drop off the package at a local UPS store for pickup after first attempt. That's the way Canada Post works and it is perfect. I can go to my local post office and pick up my package after work no driving across town. There is a UPS store 2.8 kms from my house versus driving 30 kms to Keele and Steeles to pick it up. I have had 3 packages delivered to me this week. One was a UPS delivery and I had to stay and work from home just to receive the package which came at the end of the day right at 5 PM. The other 2 came via Canada Post all left with message available for pick up at local post office which for me is either the Rexall pharmacy or Shoppers Drug Mart.

I had the same problem with the iPod replacement program still haven't received a box to send the iPod in. This is why I don't order anything from Apple online, I just won't deal with UPS.

#4 ·
Fedex uses "Hold at location" service which for me is 12 km away. There are FedEx drop off's everywhere here but for pickup after first delivery attempt only some offer the "Hold at location" service. Still better than UPS.

The problem with Apple and UPS, is that after first attempt usually you can call UPS and say to hold package for pickup or get it re-directed but Apple won't allow UPS to change anything on the shipment, UPS gets you to call Apple and then the package has to be shipped back to Apple then Apple resending it out again.

#5 ·
Don't want it shipped, don't order online. You could have bought just about whatever apple product you wanted for the same price from Future Shop or Best Buy right in Kanata. You could have taken a spin down to Carbon if you really wanted. Unless it was a refurb!

You could have the package redirected to the UPS store in Centrum if you wanted. They offered that service to me once, they may have changed it now.

I love UPS since they are actually fast. A shipment from Montreal or Toronto will arrive in Ottawa the next day. The same thing from canada post could take a couple weeks, or it may not even show up.

I do think pretty much every option to ship something in Canada sucks. Fedex and UPS are too expensive, Canada post is expensive AND slow.

I don't think Apple or Amazon, or any other big retailer, will stop using UPS or Fedex anytime soon. They simply offer way too many supply chain/logistics options.

Those depot hours are insane, even the UPS depot in Kingston has better hours!

#7 ·
UPS doesn't redirect unless they call the individually owned UPS outlets and get permission from the stores. I had a printer shipped with my mac pro refurb and it shipped UPS (refurb was FedEx). I called b/c I knew I wasn't going to be home on the 2 days they were going to try and that's what UPS told me. I tried telling them it was a waste to stop by b/c I knew I wasn't home, but they did anyways.

Weird b/c Purolator, FedEx and CPost all seem to work the opposite and enjoy when customers tell them they won't be around so they can leave at a local depot.

Makes sense to me.

#6 · (Edited)
The refurbs I ordered from Apple were sent FedEx... If I was not home either way it amounts to the same thing... I have to go to the respective depot to pick up the order...

Either way it amounts to pretty much the same thing. If it is an international order it makes a difference but if it is within the country it basically makes no difference in my experience.

I'm not quite sure what level of service RunTheWorldOnMac is expecting...?

Canada Post? Well yes I suppose they could offer that but then it is unlikely to be "free" delivery as Apple does not likely have a contract with them.

#9 ·
I typically never order online from Apple but when I want something customized there is no choice. I couldn't make it to a store in Black Friday and wanted an engraved iPad for a Xmas gift.

The service I want is to have someone want to get my package to me ASAP. Purolator and Canada Post have local pick up spots. When they attempt to deliver and I am at work, they drop off said package at a local retailer and I take my slip and pick up my package. UPS takes 3 days to attempt deliveries before making you drive to the depot. I have had to drive an hour to a depot in the past because they are out of the way.

I don't find Purolator or Canada Express expensive. Paying $2-3 dollars more or convenience is money well spent.

#10 ·
It still better than DHL service south of Ottawa.

Some guy in his van is sent out to deliver, even if it makes it, its not tracked once they use the private contractor. I have had more than one item failed to be delivered by this service from Apple, and the worst part is I'll have an actual DHL truck drive down our road.

#11 ·
DHL...stick a fork in them, they're done in North America. They actually interline their domestic shipments with UPS.

Apple will not allow redirection or pickup of any of their shipments fearing fraud. I know it was a big issue with not only Apple, but many other computer vendors. Dell once cancelled an order for a monitor to my Mailboxes Etc. address yet they shipped a $2300 laptop to the same address a month or so earlier. Dumb asses cancelled on the grounds that it was a "mail drop". No sh*t Sherlocks :lmao:

UPS is huge, they have more cash than Apple or the US government. Huge leverage with shippers and most corporates in North America. Don't expect Apple to drop them any time soon and go back to FedEx. They only come to FedEx when they need definitive service...like when they shipped the first iPads...after that, back to UPS for the cheap rates and p**s poor service.

#13 ·
Good point, I forgot! UPS charges a ridiculous brokerage fee! I have ordered tv wall mounts from the US and delivered by USPS. $0 brokerage fee and the shipping fees were great.

When I was in Oakville and ordered an iPhone I had to leave work to try and get it to save myself a trip out towards Pearson to get it.

#15 ·
A few people have been talking about using the UPS stores as 'drop points' for pick ups. You can do that, but because the UPS stores are actually franchises and not corporate stores the owner of the UPS store will charge you a 'handling fee'. I had a part shipped to Calgary UPS overnight (UPS was not my choice) with a 'hold for pickup' and after many hassles finally located it at the UPS store at the Calgary Airport. The store then charged me $25.00 for me to come to pick it up. (They had the part held hostage and I had to be a four hour drive away in three hours, so I just paid instead of arguing. Wasn't going to keep 20 people and the $1M project waiting over $25.)

USPS and then Canada Post are always my choices whenever possible. Fed Ex for anything that needs to be expedited.

I hate, hate, hates UPS.

#16 ·
the other day I had deliveries coming from Apple - China.. 3 boxes.. there is no time or reason when they show ( UPS) and i stay all day to make sure I do not miss them.. then they show up finally. mid day - i get 1 box ( computer ) ask about other boxes.. driver says I have no idea.. ( i have a dedicated driver too )
then i ready myself for a service call about to head out.. ( 2 hours later same guy shows up ) with the other boxes
I ask WTF? he says it is not on the same shelf - because it is not a priority as the first box.. ( so I ask what do you do drive around, smogging up the environment and waste gas and kilometers? )
no logic - to what they do at all..
would of been cheaper to give me all of them at once.

or like the fact they knock on the door instead of using the ringer than take off..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.