Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Smartphones come with built in Trojan

995 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MazterCBlazter 
#1 ·
iPhone is not mentioned here but still worth the time to review the video.
Video mentioned is here:TrevorEckhart's Channel - YouTube

A smartphone security researcher is shining light on a hidden program that tracks activity on Android, BlackBerry and Nokia handsets.

Trevor Eckhart exposed the workings of Control IQ in a video available online Wednesday as the California company behind the software defended it as a tool for mobile network operators.

"Our software is designed to help mobile network providers diagnose critical issues that lead to problems such as dropped calls and battery drain," Carrier IQ said in a press statement.

The company denied the software logged keystrokes or tracked smartphone users.
However, Eckhart's video showed Control IQ software buried deep in an Android-powered smartphone recording buttons pressed, Internet search queries, text messages and locations.
Eckhart typed a text message of "Hello world!" only to have it instantly appear in a Control IQ application log in an Android phone.

The software was tricky to find on the device and couldn't be turned off, according to his demonstration.

Control IQ had tried to silence Echkart with a cease-and-desist letter threatening legal action but backed off after lawyers at the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) went to his defense.
"Mr. Eckhart's legitimate and truthful research is sheltered by both the fair use doctrine and the First Amendment," EFF senior staff attorney Marcia Hofmann wrote in a response to the Control IQ letter.

Eckhart wanted details regarding why the Control IQ software was vacuuming information about smartphone use and who they shared it with.

#4 ·
So, Dr. G.'s post with link above confirms my suspicions with this quote from the link:

Sprint said it uses the app to root out network problems but can't see user activity. Other wireless carriers and smartphone manufacturers also responded. Verizon said it doesn't use the app, and Apple said it has stopped supporting it and plans to eliminate it altogether.
I rest my case.

#9 ·
Keystroke loggers that you are unaware of and transmit data against your wishes are the very definition of a Trojan, only difference is this one ships with the phone.

#10 ·
Well, in iOS5, disabling it is as simple as opting out of Diagnostics in the Settings app, but Apple has confirmed that CarrierIQ has existed on iPhones since iOS3, and in those, it does not show up in the Settings app, so there is no way of opting out, as Apple claims.

And before anyone says anything, there is at least one person in this world who is not on iOS5 on the iPhone, viz. me; and yes, I know that's my own fault. :)

Cheers

#12 ·
Trojan Rabbit / Origin of the Facepalm

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.