Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

"The Walking Dead" Thread (untied and roaming free)

71K views 1K replies 32 participants last post by  Macfury 
#1 ·
I've been a fan since watching my first episode a few weeks back. Riveting, well acted and staged. This season dragged on (my sentiments echoed throughout the net), but that last few minutes of Season 2.0 mid-season's finale made up for it.

Are you a fan? What have you enjoyed about this show? That first season had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and never let go. Been a long time since a show did that to me.:clap:

#2 ·
I enjoy the fact that the elements of the program are basic zombie--no fancy twists. I did not enjoy the stuff in the CDC lab very much, but feel this season has picked up nicely. Best bits--the early episode where they have to cover themselves with guts to sneak past the dead--pure tension. Also the more recent episode where they're hiding under cars to escape a crowd of walkers.

Have followed the comic series as well, but the TV series is far superior.

#3 ·
Watching the mid-season finale in a few minutes - I'll be back to chat. I will say that I agree with MF on the CNC episode. There was a great deal of online chatter about the 2nd season being in for major suckitude because of a change in producer and the revelation that so much time would be spent on Herschel's farm... but it's turned out to be pretty darn good. Glad I haven't read the comics, so I can't be miffed about how the small-screen adaptation is going...

#6 ·
Man, they really ratcheted it up toward the end there, hey? Nice... very nice. Wonder where they go from here.... quite a bit of drama to recover from in that episode...

IIRC, the term "zombies" isn't used because this is supposed to be a reality in which that genre of filmmaking hadn't occurred.

#10 ·
Any theories on how things came to be in this reality? The whole thing involving a patient waking up in a hospital and venturing outdoors to witness all hell breaking loose is something we've seen before in other films. However, what are your thoughts about why a rampant zombie apocalypse? Viral? I'm glad that there has not been talk about this yet. Better to leave things to the imagination and deal with the trauma of having to cope in this new landscape.

Best terrifying moment for me: the attack on the camp and Amy getting bitten, Otis bent left for zombie snack. I think the term "Otis'ed" has been used to describe such an occurrence.

#12 ·
However, what are your thoughts about why a rampant zombie apocalypse? Viral? I'm glad that there has not been talk about this yet. Better to leave things to the imagination and deal with the trauma of having to cope in this new landscape.
I appreciated one thing about George Romero's trilogy of original Dead films--no hope of finding out what causes someone to become a zombie. It is what it is... I hope they maintain that approach in the TV series.

#13 ·
When the zombie they were pulling out of the well ripped in two. That was pretty unforgettable. :eek:

#17 · (Edited)
Season 2 has started up again!

So, what say you about this half of Season 2? Better than the first half as I found the Sophia arc a little tedious, and, well, boring. I found the finale predictable.

Was surprised about the dispatch of one of the main characters Sunday. Quite a shocker - but again, predictable.

#18 ·
So, what say you about this half of Season 2? Better than the first half as I found the Sophia arc a little tedious, and, well, boring. I found the finale predictable.

Was surprised about the dispatch of one of the main characters Sunday a shocker - but again, predictable.
Yeah, that was unfortunate - he was a fun character. Loved the image of him sitting on the camper with a rifle and an umbrella.

#25 ·
I didn't see that coming - I figured he'd encounter a walker, but not that he'd get chomped. I was half expecting Carl to have a zombie scratch with repercussions. From the rumours online, I was expecting Shane to eat dirt tonight...

Only two episodes left, though... :( But, good news, Season Three is already greenlighted.

I am getting pretty tired of the farm, though...

Oh - and last week's episode? Did anyone else clue in to Rick's foreboding feeling that zombiefication doesn't necessarily come just from a bite?

#26 ·
Just finished Season 1 of Walking Dead. Unfortunately, one of the trends on Twitter last night gave me a spoiler for the 2nd season.

I watched Season 1 on Netflix... Avoiding other posts in this thread until I catch up.

I'm back to watching my other favourite show right now, which is Dexter. On Season 4 of that right now.

So much good TV to watch. :)

#27 ·
1. I find the series' writers are playing a little fast & loose with characters' expected behaviours in the name of providing drama. Primarily I take issue with Carl's solo roaming. I mean most parent's would keep their child on a shorter leash during non-zombie apocalypses. Wanders alone into barn where a prisoner is kept, wanders alone to come upon a zombie within the compound (why did he not tell anyone of this? surely one the first lessons Rick would have impressed upon the young lad would be to report any zombie sightings), wander alone at night to witness his father in the process of executing someone. This is further aggravating because Carl's parents are depicted as being paragons of the protective sort, trying to shield from him as best they can the brutality of life as it is now. Anyways...

2. Dale was getting annoying, had it coming. Shane I find to possess the most admirable of characters, tough times call for tough choices: killing the prisoner is the right choice.

3. Was it revealed what the scientist whispered to Rick at the end of season 1? I might have missed it. If not, perhaps it is tied into the camera's lingering over Rick's expression at the sight of seemingly un-bitten zombies.

#28 ·
I followed the comic book series for a bit as well and found that the admiration for Rick's leadership seemed to require overlooking some of his worst decisions.

The notion of "unbitten zombies" never struck me as particularly shocking. If anyone who dies becomes a zombie, bitten or not, how is that worse? I also notice that in all of these zombie shows and movies, people seem willing to sock zombies right in the mouth. Given those sharp rows of rotting teeth and the black ichor that drips from their jaws, I'd be worried about infection.

#29 ·
Rick had a lot of infected blood-spatter around his eyes, that'd make me worried. Perhaps up until this point they believe infection is only transmitted through saliva? Would be ridiculously naive - people would take greater precautions when confronted with SARS than undead infection, if they behaved as this ensemble.

#30 ·
In the episode prior to this, When Shane was trapped on the bus, he repeatedly cut his hand and applied blood on the same spot where a ghoul had previously suckled. Again, even if you're not worried about getting Living Dead Virus, at least make sure your cut doesn't go septic.

#31 ·
Some commentary as to how the upcoming change in season may play out well for our band of survivors: what will the cold do to these mindless zombies in search for their next bloodied crunch? I found it interesting that, in almost every episode, the survivors had to endure sunny skies and warm weather as they battled the walker hordes (save the well orchestrated camp attack scene in Season One). Will the zombies all freeze "to death" - but will they thaw out?

Goatie zombie man who eviscerated Dale and the poor cow was definitely gruesome. Fabulous make-up and design work!

#32 ·
I love the Walking Dead. I especially love following on Twitter at the same time as the episodes are on because it's nice to see some of the wise remarks & have others to say similar wise remarks to. I read all the comic books & they are much darker. It's interesting to see the plot differences between the series & the comics which differs quite a bit this season.

#33 ·
The comics are, of course, years ahead of the series. Shane is a goner already in comicville. I much prefer the show.

I recall a comic series called The Goon in which the title character mows down frozen zombie icicles, rooted to the spot by winter.

#35 ·
I thought this episode played out brilliantly and had some amazing set shots (e.g., moonlit scene with Shane and Rick during their stand off). I figured that these two would have their moment eventually in this season, but having Shane done in like that was almost poetic in nature.

And what's with Carl dropping into those scenes so randomly? This Sunday's season finale looks thrilling. Too bad we have to wait so bloody long for the next seasons to commence. I remember when shows started in the early Fall and ended sometime in June.

Oh well.

#36 ·
Carl needs to be bitten. Soon. Little critter is getting on my nerves. As a plot device, he sucks - wandering all over hell and creation... No way Lori should have let him out of the house that night - I mean, they were all told to go in and lock the doors, right?

Shane... I had seen in the rumour sites that he would likely be coming back as a walker, but I expected him to die, and come back in a bit, not right away. In any event, yes, a very poetic, almost beautiful confrontation on that hilltop... nicely shot.

Looking forward to the finale next weekend... though a bit sad, as I'd love to jump right into Season Three immediately.... :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.