Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Vasily Alexeev died today

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  screature 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
I remember seeing him at the beginning of Wide World of Sports intro from Saturdays when I was about 5 years old. The image is engrained in my brain. I didn't know who he was, but as a kid always envisioned him as the strongest man in the world.

RIP.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#5 ·
Sad. I too have memories of watching him compete. May he RIP.

#7 ·
I remember him putting the chalk on his hands and then pacing back and forth talking to himself in his head.. going back and getting more chalk... pacing some more... some more self talk... lots of deep breathes and then going back to face the bar and the weight and then with an EXPLOSION of energy and mind liftins an impossible weight for mere mortals over his head and holding it until the buzzer sounded...

It gave me chills... and while I always cheered one of my own national heros, he was always the man I truly routed for, just because of his sheer determination of mind over matter. It was truly awesome to watch.

RIP Vasily Alexeev you will always be remembered as one of the true greats of athletic competition... at least by me. :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.