Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

samsung goes after apple.

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  groovetube 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I'll give credit where credit it due on a good ad, but this ad... while a very funny poke at iPhone users lining up, is a HORRIBLE ad.

The difference between the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads, was that the knocks were about the PC, not people who use a PC.

This ad basically insults anyone who bought an iPhone as being an idiot or a loser, and considering well over 100,000,000 iPhones has been sold, that's insulting a lot of your potential customer base.

The ad also points out that people around the United States have lined up for hours to buy the iPhone.

It also touts one of the major features of the phone by how HUGE it is. :eek: :lmao: There's a real selling point.

Anyways, it's a funny dig, I just think it won't sell them a lot of phones. It will amuse Adroid fanboys and iPhone haters.

#5 ·
The difference between the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads, was that the knocks were about the PC, not people who use a PC.
I can't say I've ever seen a cool looking PC guy in those ads. He was always a bumbling geeky guy that looked like he lived in his mom's basement and bought his cloths at Kmart in the 80s. He was socially handicapped while the mac guy was the exact opposite.

Actually the people in the lineup in this ad look much like the "cool" people Apple uses to represent their customers. They just don't sound so bright.:)

Cheers
MacGuiver

#9 ·
Yeah sure, but does it have Siri?

FWIW, I thought the ad sucked, not bad but not brilliant or even convincing.

#10 ·
the ad is what it is, an ad. As far as the mac vs pc I beg to differ, it made pc users look like out of touch dolts, and mac users the cool guy you want to be.

I didn't think by any means it was brilliant, but interesting how a company has begun targeting the whole 'we're cool cause we use apple' thing. C'mon it exists.

#12 ·
I don't know that the subtle difference exists really, "PC guy" was pretty much a character representing any poor sap who happens to use a pc, tired, not very fit, geeky, uncool. And of course, why on earth would 'he' be using such an outdated piece of crap when you could be cool and use an apple product?

Again, I don't think the ad was particularly brilliant by any means, but I can smile at the knocks at mac users. Even if I am one!

Just thought it was interesting to see this kind of direct attack on the 'mac guy' happen in an ad.

#14 ·
I think some people are maybe missing the point. The actor who portrayed PC guy, John Hodgkins, who on a great ironic twist is himself also a Mac guy, was already well-known in hip comedy circles as a regular on The Daily Show with John Stewart. And the mayor is right; the ads were meant to personify the computer company's OS, Microsoft's Windows, as opposed to the user himself, even though MS, the competitor, is never named other than the generic term "PC."

Apple's Mac is also a PC in the literal definition (personal computer, a term I believe Woz came up with), so here Apple creates both the hero and the villain of the piece, in front of its metaphorical decluttered white backdrop, which is supposedly some kind of cyber space where operating systems go to chat, and Mac guy gets to expose the flaws of PC guy's OS. He is also sympathetic to PC guy, even if he is a little condescending at times, so PC guy becomes like Wile Coyote; the Everyman anti-hero that we root for even though we know he will lose. Nobody wants to invest in losers, but they sure are interesting to watch or even feel sorry for.

I see none of this kind of charm or introspection in Samsung's effort here, but that could come in time I suppose. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression however, and Samsung has just solidified the IPhone/Android rift while making fan droids look jealous of iPhone lineups.

Also I had to look up the term "barista" (thank you, Siri). I'll bet so did many of you.

#15 ·
I think apple guys may be just a little too uptight about this. Jealous of lineups? Hardly. Being a leftwing bike riding pinko toronto elite, I knew what that term was. :)

It's just an ad. Thought it was kinda funny in a way, and interesting samsung would come swinging like this. I didn't think much past that really.

#17 ·
I think the ad is funny too. My critique is solely on the fact that I don't think it will sell them phones, which I believe is it's purpose.

The people that line-up extremely early at an Apple Store on launch day are only a very small percentage of the 100 Million iPhones sold. And for the most part, people don't want they're phones they stick in their pocket to be described as HUGE or MASSIVE.

#19 ·
Is that an Android in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.