Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Another Credit/Debit Card Scam

901 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  eMacMan 
#1 ·
Wish I had copied the link but this could impact anybody using a debit or credit card. More common at this time of year due to seasonal hirings.

The Scam is quite simple; You are checking out, clerk adds $20-$40 cash back to your order. Hopefully you do not notice and the cash gets handed to an accomplice further back in the line.

Of course once you leave the store, the clerk can claim you really did ask for and receive cash back.

Bottom Line: Review those receipts before leaving the register. That's common sense but so many fail to do just that!

#2 ·
With all the big stories having video cameras pointed at there registers, you would think it would be easy to prove what happened or did not happen. Still a pain in the arse, and many people would probably just head home without even looking at the receipt. I make sure I pay attention to what I am paying for with debit/credit. Years ago, at a fast food restaurant, I was going through drive through, the girl behind the window hit a few extra buttons or something by accident and it would have been a $900 meal. Thankfully I saw before clicking "ok"

#4 ·
As long as the crook is careful to pick distracted shoppers, say a parent with out-of-control kid(s), there is a high probability the consumer won't notice. All those high tech cameras would probably not be carefully reviewed as the register will balance. If the customer does notice, the clerk says oops and fixes the mistake. Unless a lot of customers catch him/her and bring it to managements attention it is a good bet that the individual can carry the scam for a few days/weeks then look for work at another short staffed outlet.

Obviously requiring no incriminating gadgets makes it very attractive for would be crooks.

#3 ·
The last time (I guess the only time) one of our credit cards got scammed was at a gas station a few years back. We were on our way to Calgary for a day trip, stopped partway for gas, got to the city, did our running around, came back, stopped at the same gas station to top off the fuel tank, came home.

Credit card company called us a couple weeks later, asked about the three (?) transactions at the same gas station at three different times on the same day. We verified two but had no knowledge of the third.

They investigated, brought in the RCMP and found that the little darling behind the till had purchased a bunch of smokes, pop & chips using our number. Apparently he had done this a few times that weekend with other cards. The extra charge was removed & we've been fortunate not to have any problems since.

The only real disappointment was that the the cops wouldn't furnish me with his name...beejacon

#5 ·
you leave the store but you can return and have them review the video tapes..
and the zit faced clerk will change his/her story pretty quickly.. especially if you threat to call the police..

but true - I always watch what gets scanned and review my receipts right away..
but yes to women ( as them seem to be easily distracted ) or mother of kids this will happen, as they buy items and pay and run, with out checking the screen or bill ... ( see it all the time when I am in line )

#7 ·
However Debit cards feature zero protection and this scam would work equally well with either.

FWIW Based on what I see while waiting my turn in line, I would guess roughly 10% of customers turn down their receipts. Clearly many people are not taking even the minimal steps required to protect themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.