Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

RIP Baron Munchausen (aka "John Neville")

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SINC 
#1 ·
John Neville dies at 86

John Neville, who played Romeo to Claire Bloom’s Juliet, Hamlet to Judi Dench’s Ophelia and Othello to Richard Burton’s Iago (and vice versa), but who may be best known in the United States as the title character in the exuberantly loopy film “The Adventures of Baron Munchausen” and a recurring one in the television series “The X-Files,” died in Toronto on Saturday. He was 86.

(NYTimes)

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, CM, I heard this news as well. Such talent gone, but at least we were granted to share in an expression of this talent for many years. RIP.

#4 ·
Neville was the Director of Halifax's famed Neptune Theatre from '78 to '83. Apart from his artistic contributions, he is credited with getting the organization's finances in order and bringing in a new era of solvency & success. Neptune's downtown theatre is a great experience for lovers of live theatre.

And of course, he was one of those actors who would pop up in unexpected places, bringing immense gravitas to anything he did - such as his role in the X-Files.

#6 ·
When I was in high school the Grade 10 classes attended a performance of "Taming of the Shrew" at Neptune Theatre.

The actress, I believe it was Joan Orenstiein leaped up on another actor and in perfect shakespearian John Neville delivered the next line to the effect "your breast doth express itself marvellously, the actress looked at Neville rather quizzically. Obviously, this line, was not the line she was expecting.

By this time we kids were beginning to laugh, at this point Neville said " look down on your left, with a broad visual que" at which point with shock on her face she placed her left boob back into her frock.

Mr. Neville's "cool" improvised performance provided me a life long appreciation for live theatre. You never know when the "magic" will happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.