Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

When buyers get nasty...

7K views 118 replies 31 participants last post by  SINC 
#1 ·
Wow. What a day.

First off, I witnessed a shopper at IKEA get quite angry with an attendant after not being granted a steep discount for a set of drapes in which its sealed bag had torn. Second, saw a young man become enraged, filling the air with expletives, as an elderly lady took her time to select soup from the self-serve counter.

And, after checking my e-mails tonight, received this reply to an ad I posted from someone interested in my drum set:

"..Yup, I can do $100 for that set of toms -- it isn't a kit unless you can get a real bass drum not a 16 inch tom and it isn't a jungle kit -- do some homework dude and figure it out. Take the $100 best you're going see and I can pickup tonight.

Shoot me an email back soon as I don't have a lot of time to waste."

I received another e-mail with the same tone. The last one was from a doctor who claimed that "cash is King" and that I should sell my drums for far less than my asking price. He then explained in quite detail how there are several hundred sets out there selling for less and offering more features. Hmmmm.....why are you bothering me then?

What is this (entitled!) world coming to?

:mad:

See less See more
#3 ·
That's bloody well whacked. That isn't a bad asking price at all, I had considered your jungle kit for when I can't use the 22s or the 26" kick. I just have to save sneakin in more drums into the house in stages past the wife, I'm working on sliding in a couple more snare drums and it's tough to explain why the 6 I have isn't enough :)

#11 ·
a few weeks ago, I was at a hardware store picking up some stuff for the home, and the guy in front of me had this slightly amusing conversation with the customer service lady..
Guy: Hey, this box is opened, I should get a discount!!
Employee: No.
Guy: what do you mean? it's obviously opened and I'm not sure if anything is missing.. (he's starting to get angry)
Employee: well go get another box!!
Guy: I already waited 10 mins in line!
Employee: ok..
Guy: Ok? so do I get the discount?
Employee: No!!
Guy: this place suck! %*%#( this and %%$($ that, I will never come here again..
Employee: so are you buying this or not?
Guy: yeah :(

Moral of the story, someone will always think that he can get a 10 or 20% off of you. You just ignore them and get on with you business as usual :D

#14 ·
I had a guy call me a "f-ing cheap Jew" in an email reply to a Kijiji ad for a GPS because I wouldn't sell it for $80 less my ad price.

Although I am not Jewish, I was deeply disturbed by the comment. I phoned the police and they said they would "look into it".

People are indeed becoming increasingly ignorant. I think people become hysterically angry quite easily these days. I've gotten very angry in a store before, but it was after talking to three managers who would not help me resolve a reasonable problem.

#26 ·
I had a guy call me a "f-ing cheap Jew" in an email reply to a Kijiji ad for a GPS because I wouldn't sell it for $80 less my ad price.

Although I am not Jewish, I was deeply disturbed by the comment. I phoned the police and they said they would "look into it".

People are indeed becoming increasingly ignorant. I think people become hysterically angry quite easily these days. I've gotten very angry in a store before, but it was after talking to three managers who would not help me resolve a reasonable problem.
You phoned the police!? What just to waste their time?

#16 ·
I had someone try to get me to lower my price on a coat by $50 (which the price was already quite reasonable) Further to this I had put in the post that the price was firm. I responded and said, "sure I can lower that for you, so itll be 100 + my $50 service fee = $150" He told me I could've just said no.

#18 ·
Tried selling a macbook for $400 that would sell for $500, someone offered me '$250 CASH and I can pick it up now!' I replied I would only take cash anyway and then asked which parts did you want? He was not sure what I meant until I said he can have the macbook without the battery and ram or without the hard drive and ram, he got pissed off and told me to f off like I was the bad guy.

#17 ·
I have sold many things on Kijiji and I have had many people call me nasty things when I didn't give them the item at their slashed/much reduced price even though I was already asking less than most. Kind of like a garage sale, imagine having a $50 item almost new, priced at $4 and someone coming up and saying 'I will give you $1' and getting pissed off when you say no. What is this world coming to? I don't care what the economy is like, it shouldn't change our attitude that much should it?

#22 ·
I also sell often using Kijiji and CL and experience the same thing. Often the really nasty price police won't leave a legitimate email for a response to their vitriol. Indicative of how cowardly they are. The anonymous nature of the net can really bring out the worst in people.

Mainly what occurs is people leading you down the proverbial garden path. They waste your time with a series of emails and countless questions and then back out at the last minute.

Nature of the beast I suppose.

#21 ·
I do love to see those online ads declaring they want a MacBook Pro of any description "today by 5 pm--looking to pay $200!" I never quite understand how the time limit is supposed to make their magnanimous offer any more appealing. But at least they're just offensive askers, not buyers.

#25 ·
The problem with the world today is we have all lost touch with reality..I live with this in mind and it has never steered me wrong " there is no such thing as a free lunch, never expect one or ask for one.. " that is my motto and it works.

I had a referred client call us:
he said I want your services, but here is the what I am willing to do and pay.. I want to and will make you rich - I will refer you all of my rich friends and clients..
I laughed at the person, told him please keep your hot air of promises to yourself. I will give you a discount but please do not make me rich..

We signed the person as a client, set him up and serviced him- gave him a discount and then I receive an email saying " i am confused by your invoice and I have fulfilled my obligation of 1 client introduction, why the invoice?.. "
after I explained to him I am willing to help him find another service provider - who are willing to charge full price and not answer the phones after 5 or before 8 AM..
he replied no that is fine I will stay with you..
LOL

As for swearing at people - like the OP mentioned - why? there is no reason to swear at anyone ever.. You request to speak to a manager, never expect a yes from a person who can only say no.. that is another rule of thumb that works for me.

#27 ·
As for swearing at people - like the OP mentioned - why? there is no reason to swear at anyone ever.. You request to speak to a manager, never expect a yes from a person who can only say no.. that is another rule of thumb that works for me.
Exactly. All you need to do is get the initial no in order to escalate it to the manager. I've found if you are reasonable with a reasonable request, they will (usually) accommodate you. If they not, make a mental note for next time...

#28 ·
Hmm, some of you guys are getting a lot dissing from Kijiji buyers. I can't count the number of Kijiji transactions I have conducted and I have never had anyone communicate with me with that kind of attitude. YMMV obviously, maybe it is just the COTU inhabitants that are like that. ;)

#31 ·
it cuts both ways. yesterday i saw someone on kijiji selling an item for more than it costs brand new in store (with tax).

i politely pointed this out to him in an email (thinking he must be unaware of the retail cost), and he wrote back to me in a rather rude tone, telling me not to waste his time.

And then minutes later sent a follow up email telling me the price is negotiable.

lol. no thanks.

#33 ·
Wow... If I had the experiences with kijiji that you guys have been having I would have stopped using it. I would say I must have just been lucky but between selling and buying I must have had over 20 exchanges on kijiji and never a problem of any kind let alone rude people...

#35 ·
On-line dating experiences are age related. I've tried. Picture Walter Brimley. He's looking for Liz Taylor. There is nothing more unnerving than the look on a 70 year old face when Kathy Bates shows up.

Priceless.

Or the tone of the email response from another dude when you challenge his sincerity by reminding him that he has been dating your best friend for a year and that she is under the illusion that they are exclusive.

#37 ·
Selling on Kijiji- honestly, people are idiots. You have to wonder how their feet can even find the floor in the morning.
I do not let people pick up. Of the tiny percentage of people who can keep an appointment, only a tiny percentage of them can comprehend simple directions and instructions and actually arrive at the correct location.
Meeting people- this is my 2nd preference, with cautions. No matter that you have agreed on a price and are meeting in the middle of nowhere, I always bring multiple combinations of cash possibilities because the idiot buyer usually doesn't bring the agreed upon amount, and expects me to be the bank out on a highway interchange.
I prefer to deliver. I know i'm going to be there on time, I know I'm going to show up. All I have to do is bring a float to make change.
And I never respond to short emails like 'still got it?", or "I want, email me back'. I also don't give my phone # before they do.

And, when the deal does go down semi-acceptably, I can't believe how many people just approach with the cash stuck out at arms length, then accept the item and make no attempt to open the box, inspect, nothing. I have to ask them to make sure everything is there, make sure it is as advertised, make sure I'm not giving them a box with a hunk of wood inside. Unbelievable.

Also surprising how many people are eager to buy something and then know nothing about what they are buying. I recently sold a bunch of Mac accessories, electronics gizmos etc, and I had show and explain to most people what it was they were buying, and how to use it- after I convinced them to open the box and make sure it was in there of course.

#38 ·
I sold a portable dishwasher. The first blizzard of emails ended when thay realized that there was no warranty on the 3 year old machine and they became irritated when I refused to warrant it. Huh?

The next email said $200, good, I'll send my son to pick it up. Next day two guys showed up with a wheeler, handed me the money, loaded it up and left. I asked if they wanted to see it in operation. Nope, they were in a hurry.

I suspect it went to some guy with a bunch of rental properties or a used furniture store.

#54 ·
Circling back to the original topic, the other day I was in Costco, and there was a woman in the next checkout absolutely furious with the poor Costco employee because she wasn't being allowed to use her friend's Costco card. She kept repeating "but I've done it before!!" - to which the employee calmly explained for the umpteenth time, that this didn't matter - it was not allowed. (Clearly the previous checkout people hadn't actually looked at the picture on the card!)

As I passed on my way out, I said to the furious woman, since nobody else had said this to her - "next time, come WITH your friend." I don't know if that calmed her down or not.

It's truly amazing though how so many people seem to think that they can get their way by throwing a tantrum, being abusive etc. Having worked in retail (eons ago) I am generally pretty sympathetic to the people on the front lines.

I've been pretty lucky selling stuff on Craigslist and Kijiji - I don't think I've ever had any ridiculous low-ballers or anyone who has been terribly rude. But then, I haven't tried to sell any really high-value items like cars or computers, either, which is probably why. I'm always extremely clear in my ads, with a complete description, photos etc. and I'm also very careful to do price research before I list. I do know it's tempting to email some of the people who list things for ridiculous prices, ("are you nuts?") but it's unlikely that you'll get a sane response. ;)

#55 ·
As I passed on my way out, I said to the furious woman, since nobody else had said this to her - "next time, come WITH your friend." I don't know if that calmed her down or not.
Your brave. I'd never criticize someone like that (or point out what they're doing wrong) as then you'll be on the receiving end of her abuse.

This reminds me of the stories my mom tells me about people trying to push the Loblaws shopping carts outside the perimeter they're allowed in. The one front wheel locks up once it's outside that perimeter. No-one reads the signs that denote the perimeter. The perimeter is the Loblaws store and the parking lot right beside; you can't take them into the rest of the mall or other parking losts. Yet their is no end of people forcing them to move with all their might past that perimeter. Apparently my mom is as brave as you to point out the signs and tell them what they're doing wrong.

#56 ·
Other tasty CL and Kijiji tidbits are the people who simply ask what your best price is.

Well, my best price is what's listed you twit (seller getting nasty ;)). Name a price and we'll see if that works. More Eleanor Rigby's looking for a friend I guess.

Or 'I live in Ajax and downtown is too far. Can you deliver it?' (a $10.00 item). Uh yeah, sure... Wait for me on Sunday between 8am and 5pm. I'll be there, I promise! beejacon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.