Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Lest We Forget

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  kps 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Let us not forget not only the carnage of war, but those who fought and were visibly and invisibly maimed by war.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reminder, Doc. Here's a tribute I put together a few years back called, coincidentally, "Lest We Forget." It features many images of remembrance I found with an instrumental soundtrack by Bruce Cockburn, a tune called "Elegy." You may like it. It also extends the remembrance to other kinds of soldiers, such as the firefighters who died on 9/11, and ends with images of hope. All visuals and sound, no narration or lyrics.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

#8 ·
I wrote this many years back as a tribute to my family, but think it is worth running again as it will be thus again today. . .

At 11:00 a.m. today, I shall physically stand before the cenotaph on St. Anne Street, here in St. Albert to take part in, and witness the Remembrance Day services.

My mind however, will be elsewhere. Part of the time it will have me in the Royal Canadian Legion burial plot in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, where I will stand before the graves of my father, Lt. F. J. W. Sinclair and my mother Pt. N. M. Sinclair and salute them. They both served in WWII where my father was wounded in action in France.

It will then take me to another family plot in the small town of Lafleche, Saskatchewan, where I was born. There too, I will stand before the graves of my uncles Marvin, Donald, and Roy who also served overseas in WWII. And I will also stand before, and salute the graves of my two younger uncles who served in Korea. Uncle Benjamin, who I got to know later in life and Uncle Stanley, who I didn't get to know, dead at 33 years of age.

I shall remember that I am here, never having to go to war, because they did so on my behalf. They, and many other citizens, of many other countries, in many other conflicts. I shall remember them all.

When the final sweet notes of The Last Post haunt the still morning air, I will shed no tear, for they would not expect me to do so. I will however, have a very large lump in my throat.

LEST WE FORGET

#9 ·
Images from the service today at Calgary's Military Museum.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Collar

Lest we forget.

Clothing Jeans Trousers Outerwear Shoe

Surprise guest..but I'm not sure who was more surprised, the rabbit or the kids.

Microphone Gesture Military person Jacket Motor vehicle

New Alberta Premier, Alison Redford was in attendance.

Automotive tire Organ Tire Automotive wheel system Jacket

Scary machines of war are not scary to some, thankfully.

#11 ·
Took a quick spin on the bike out to the Pincher Creek Legion yesterday afternoon. Visited a few folk & poured back a free pint. Trip was coolish, breezy and a decent way to spend a few hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.