: user name change?

Dr T
Mar 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I see that essentially all users here use pseudonyms, and not their real name. How do you go about changing your user name? (Not that I am saying I have used my real name, in case there are any identity-stealers lurking out there...)

Kazak
Mar 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can change your username.

steviewhy
Mar 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
sudo rm -rf /

Dr T
Mar 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
why not just re-register with a different email and username?

Are you saying that this is the way to change user name?

steviewhy
Mar 6th, 2011, 08:03 PM
sudo rm -rf /

Dr T
Mar 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
not the way, but a way. Other than that Mr. Mayor would have to go into the database and make the change.

I tried sending a note to Mr Mayor and got no reply. (Not that I am saying this user name is my real name. Maybe my real name is Iggy or Harpo....) I suspect that this means I have not mastered the tricks of sending private msg to anyone. Should I maybe be just leave ehMacLand in disgrace??

Kazak
Mar 7th, 2011, 01:15 AM
The Mayor's a busy guy. It may take more than three hours for him to get back to you.

I don't think you can leave in disgrace until you've done something disgraceful. Better still: stick around--many of us have done something disgraceful and are still here.

Dr T
Mar 7th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I don't think you can leave in disgrace until you've done something disgraceful.....

Well, if I don't hear from Mr Mayor pretty soon, I will up and do something disgraceful. Like mention again that I voted for the Green Party last election...

ehMax
Mar 7th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Send me a PM with you're requested change, and I'll get that done.

Please don't sign up to ehMac with multiple accounts.

ehMax
Mar 7th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I see that essentially all users here use pseudonyms, and not their real name. How do you go about changing your user name? (Not that I am saying I have used my real name, in case there are any identity-stealers lurking out there...)

Introducing, Dr T

:)

steviewhy
Mar 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
sudo rm -rf /

Lawrence
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I too would like to change my online name,
How would I be able to do that?

After the river in my name sake.

Dr T
Mar 27th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I too would like to change my online name,
How would I be able to do that?

After the river in my name sake.

I think you may have to send a personal message to the Mayor, and tell him in private what name you want, so he can make the changes.

Why settle for a river -- I think there are names of whole Oceans still unclaimed!!

DempsyMac
Mar 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM
humm I have been thinking about asking for a more non-discript name on here, Mayor what do you think of DempsyMac?

Lawrence
Mar 28th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I think you may have to send a personal message to the Mayor, and tell him in private what name you want, so he can make the changes.

Why settle for a river -- I think there are names of whole Oceans still unclaimed!!

Maybe less than that, I have asked though, Just waiting for a reply.

ehMax
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hey there. Just got back late yesterday from being away for long weekend.

Will get caught up on some things later today. ;)

ehMax
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe less than that, I have asked though, Just waiting for a reply.

User name has been changed to Lawrence. :)

Liam@Large
Apr 11th, 2011, 11:57 PM
If you are going to change someone's username, there should be something, in the sig or wherever (at least for a limited period of time), to denote who that account USED to be... it's a bit confusing to go into old (or new) threads and discover a 7,000+ poster you have never seen before and then have to try and guess, via their avatar (if they have one!) who they might have been. (There's a reason most forums don't allow user name changes!)

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
When I first saw Lawrence I also thought hey who the heck is this with 7,000 posts that I have never heard of before. All I had to do was go to the about me in his profile and I knew who he was in seconds.

Personally I don't see it as a big deal. I don't know why anyone would want to do it but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Lawrence
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I could have it changed back to dolawren if you can't accept the change,
I just got tired of being called dola and no one knowing my real name.

Liam@Large
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I could have it changed back to dolawren if you can't accept the change,
I just got tired of being called dola and no one knowing my real name.

I personally don't mind the change... I just think changed users should have to have "Used to be [old name]" in their signature for at least 90 days or something to help clear up confusion!!

Lawrence
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I personally don't mind the change... I just think changed users should have to have "Used to be [old name]" in their signature for at least 90 days or something to help clear up confusion!!

I could do that, No problem.

screature
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I could do that, No problem.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it Lawrence (aka dolawren)... people will figure it out the same way I did.... :)

DR Hannon
Apr 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Man and I have been using my real name all this time

Cris Rock
Oct 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Since you're all on the topic of changing stuff, I have the following at the bottom of my posts;
ChristianG

PS3 80g
Wii
iMac 20"
Viera Plasma 50"

How do I update it?

The Doug
Oct 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Click on "User CP" (user control panel) at the top of the forum. Then click on "Edit Signature" at left, and Bob's your uncle.