Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Time Machine, want to reduce backup frequency

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kb244 
#1 ·
I searched here, on MacNN and though stuff on my computer and can find what I'm looking for so I'm hoping someone is more organized than me. :eek: A while back, somebody posted instructions for modifying a Time Machine script so it would backup less frequently than once per hour. I've transitioned to a new iMac and would like to set up the same backup routine.

#6 ·
Sweet thanks for this! I've been looking for something like that also! :) Wicked!

Why would we want to do this? Well I dunno about the other person, but for me, my backups for the past month are taking about 200GB's on my TB external. I don't need backups everytime I wake my MAC!

#7 ·
Why would we want to do this? Well I dunno about the other person, but for me, my backups for the past month are taking about 200GB's on my TB external. I don't need backups everytime I wake my MAC!
I fell like I have to point out that Time Machine only will back up changed files so if you are just booting up the back up should take next to no time to back up as you have yet to change anything. My self I love knowing that I can go back to anything that I have done at almost any time in day.

#9 ·
Every hour is kinda over kill for me. Every 6 is better.

FWIW, I have yet to recover a file, not that I don't expect to at some point but I've been real lucky so far. "Real backups" are put in my safe and also taken off site for secure storage. I fear theft and fire more than a system malfunction.

#11 ·
"Real backups" are put in my safe and also taken off site for secure storage. I fear theft and fire more than a system malfunction.
Anything left sitting next to thecomputer is only a partial back-up. Memory sticks are a great way to do portable back-ups of really critical files. Music and photos can be periodically burned to DVDs/CDs and stored off site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.