: My iMac won't stay asleep!

razz
Dec 13th, 2004, 09:40 PM
I have a G3 iMac that's over three years old. Lately, when I put it to sleep, it just shuts down completely.

I have zapped the PRAM, fixed permissions, fixed the hard drive, and it's fine for about a day, and then it goes back to shutting down all over again.

I know the obvious thing to do is just not put it to sleep, but could this be the internal battery dying? I just really want to know what I have to do to fix this, because it's damn annoying! :mad:

Thanks for your help, everyone!

monokitty
Dec 13th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Time for a logic board reset. Open up the iMac, unplug the ATA cables, take out the PRAM battery and leave it sitting for 10 minutes. Then, find the CUDA reset button (to the right of the ATA controller - tiny round silver-colored button) and hold it down for 10 seconds. Then, re-conect the ATA cables, put the battery back in, start her up, and zap the PRAM 3 times on startup. That forces a complete hardware reset, which will potentially eliminate the problem.

Failing that, do an 'Archive and Install.' That will install a new System folder and restore factory settings on your system. It could be that the 'Sleep' commands have become corrupted and now shut down the computer instead of sleeping it.

Failing both the above, have your PRAM battery checked for voltage. Anything under 3.0 volts (3.6 is ideal and the maximum), and your battery needs to be replaced.

Failing all 3 of the above, who knows...

SkyHook
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:07 AM

SkyHook
Dec 14th, 2004, 02:22 AM