Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What are the first things to do with new Mac

6K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  screature 
#1 ·
My iMac is going to be arriving soon and I was just curious as of what things I should do and useful things to download. Any suggestions? I have dmg files of Skype, Dropbox and VLC

#2 ·
GarageBand is fun, as is iPhoto iMovie and all kinds of apps that come with. I'd also get yourself Pages if it doesn't come pre-installed, as it is a very good word processor that can also import and export Word files among other things, without the clunkiness of Word. It takes some getting used to though. Messages is nice for sending and receiving texts, multi-media messages, and what not from other friends with Macs, iPhones. iPads and iPod Touches. FaceTime is also pretty cool, but the thing that sold our family was PhotoBooth—goofy, simple, unadulterated fun. And of course, there's iTunes.

Check out the Mac App Store (second from left on the dock) to find much of the software you'll ever need.

#4 ·
Because it's made by Apple. Apple users pay a high price for hardware but the tradeoff is that the software is dirt cheap. You'll find this on the Mac App store as well, where the download versions of many apps can be substantially less expensive than their boxed counterparts, and also less expensive than MicroSoft software (MS makes its profits on software as opposed to hardware). Just different business models.

#8 ·
Nope. No anti-virus is necessary on a Mac. in fact, they tend to slow things down considerably. If you suspect any malware of any sort, just run ClamXav (ClamXav -- freeware) when you need it and you're good to go. That being said, after more than twelve years, there are still no viruses for Mac OSX, although other malware such as trojans do exist—but sites such as this one are pretty quick to discover them.

#6 ·
I would STRONGLY suggest when you boot your new iMac that you DO NOT do anything than follow the directions, especially if you're upgrading from an older Mac. Just follow the directions.

If it's your fist Mac, do the same thing - follow the directions and options provided.

Then when all that's done, then launch Software Update and check and install as required.

Even if not asked, restart and then again run Software Update and repeat until it says that you're up to date.

Only then should you setup your Mail email etc. and other vital apps you need, and if it's a completely new OS X version than what you've been used to, open System Preferences and check out all the options you want to use for your use.

Use it for a few days, and when all default apps are working as you want, then and only then start downloading any apps or utilities you may want or need to use.

PS: what's a Windows anti-virus "percaution"??? ;)

#10 ·
PS: what's a Windows anti-virus "percaution"??? ;)
Lol, yes a precaution I haven't had a virus on my pc for 6 years :)
Thanks for the advice.

The first thing I usually do on a fresh Mac (after the initial setup as mentioned by pm-r) is install a free app called AppCleaner. It's just an uninstall helper and makes sure nothing gets left behind if you uninstall anything. The "normal" way to remove apps from OSX is to simply drag the App to the trash but many of the more complex software packages out there have uninstallers included with them.

AppCleaner just gives you peace of mind knowing that nothing gets left behind on your system. Well, at least MOST things don't get left behind. ;)
Alright thanks ill add that to my list of things to get :)

#9 ·
The first thing I usually do on a fresh Mac (after the initial setup as mentioned by pm-r) is install a free app called AppCleaner. It's just an uninstall helper and makes sure nothing gets left behind if you uninstall anything. The "normal" way to remove apps from OSX is to simply drag the App to the trash but many of the more complex software packages out there have uninstallers included with them.

AppCleaner just gives you peace of mind knowing that nothing gets left behind on your system. Well, at least MOST things don't get left behind. ;)

#11 ·
The one program I would never be without is OnyX. I run it monthly to keep all my Macs running smoothly. It can also be helpful if one encounters odd behaviour on your Mac from time to time. It is free and available here:

Titanium's Software; Download

Be sure to get the right version for your Mac's operating system, in your case, for Mountain Lion on a new Mac..

#12 ·
The one program I would never be without is OnyX. I run it monthly to keep all my Macs running smoothly.
I could never get my head around OnyX.
You say you run it monthly........but what do you run?
your comment sounds as if it is a program like Repair Permissions or Verify Disk, where you click on a button and the program does its thing.
But every time I launch OniX I end up with a bunch of options I need to select and it's not always clear which ones to chose.
Is there an option to just run all the default settings that I keep missing?

#21 ·
SINC -

Thanks for taking the time to post the steps.

I get stuck on step 3 where OniX ask you to put in the password.
For one - the window that opens only has a field to enter the password - there is no field above it to enter a user name.

And when I enter the password, I get the message back that the password is incorrect.

So I went back to system preferences to change the admin password in case I didn't remember it right.
Well, the Mac was happy with the password I remembered but OniX wasn't.

So I just took the next step, dug out my install disk and reset the admin password that way - just to make sure everything was kosher.

Same problem - I only get the field to enter a password, no filed for the user name like with the Mac.

Now my admin user name and my regular user name are not the same - I changed the passwords to make them the same for both accounts but still no dice.
I just can't get past that window.

I also ran disk utility and repaired permissions - made no difference.

I'm wondering if it's a problem with the version of the OS I'm running - I noticed that OnyX has a different download for each Mac OS.
What happens when you upgrade?
I probably moved from Tiger to Snow leopard at some point, actually I think the Mini I use now came with SL and I ran Migration and then software update.
Almost looks as if one has to trash OnyX and reload a later version if one upgrades the OS.

OnyX doesn't even show you which version you are running like all the normal apps.
So I don't know if my version is SL compatible or not.
The SMART verification and start up disk verification worked fine, but then OnyX won't recognize the admin password even though I know 100% that it is correct.

#22 · (Edited)
SINC -

Thanks for taking the time to post the steps.

I get stuck on step 3 where OniX ask you to put in the password.

I'm wondering if it's a problem with the version of the OS I'm running - I noticed that OnyX has a different download for each Mac OS.
What happens when you upgrade?
I probably moved from Tiger to Snow leopard at some point, actually I think the Mini I use now came with SL and I ran Migration and then software update.
Almost looks as if one has to trash OnyX and reload a later version if one upgrades the OS.

OnyX doesn't even show you which version you are running like all the normal apps.
So I don't know if my version is SL compatible or not.
The SMART verification and start up disk verification worked fine, but then OnyX won't recognize the admin password even though I know 100% that it is correct.
krs, that is likely due to trying to use the wrong version. All versions are free here:

Titanium's Software; Download

Scroll to the bottom link for older OS systems like Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger. Once you have the right version, I am sure all will be fine. You must use the right version for the OS you are running to get past that password screen.

I even downsized the images to please the complainers. ;)

#23 ·
I read somewhere that I should reinstall osx and delete all the things I won't use like printer drivers during the install, it also said that I should make a standard user account and use that for day to day and not the admin one

Does that sound like something I should do?

#24 ·
I sure would not do that with a new Mac. You likely read it might save you some space on the HD, but messing with partial installs are flirting with trouble for any user. You will not notice any space savings and you never know when you might buy another printer and need those drivers. That is one big advantage with a Mac. In most cases there is no software to install to run a newer printer. Like thy say, it just works.

#27 ·
I had already downloaded the SL version using the last link you posted but I couldn't open the .dmg file.
It somehow got corrupt during the download.

Downloaded it again and OnyX now launched fine.
Except this time it found a problem with my start up drives which tested fine last time around with the older version.
So it's telling me to run disk utility, but last time I ran disk utility a few days ago, everything came up clean.

I think I'm going to update my back up before I do naything further with OnyX.
Don't really understand why OnyX thinks there is a problem with the start up disk - I certainly see no problems and I started the Mini several times in the last few days because I was travelling and taking the Mini with me.
Otherwise I just leave it running 24/7

#33 ·
What mouse are you using?

If you hold you control key and select something on your desktop do you get the?

And if you just right-click the same thing, do you get the same drop down menu?

If so, your right click mouse option is enabled.

Not exactly clear with Apple's mouse pref pane options is it!!!

#36 · (Edited)
Good to hear even if Apple's mouse pref pane doesn't make things exactly obvious regarding any "right-click" options, and a common phrase they still don't seem to want to use.

I'm glad you're happy with your Logitech MX510 mouse, and I purchased a Logitech M705 wireless USB mouse from our local Costco store in March to try out as my old mouses were getting somewhat erratic. None of the Apple supplied mouses and I just don't get along well.

I have to say that I still have a smile on my face when I use it - with a good quality mousepad that enhances its use.
Instant response all the time, no lag ever and 3 1/2 year battery life. I'm now one happy Mac mouser!!

PS: and under $30.00, I'm a happy Logitech M705 user. ;)

#41 ·
+100!!!

I had to bite my tongue or should I say fingers to provide at least a civil reply post.

I just love my Logitech M705, and a good quality mouse pad just improves its movement.

Apparently my body and fingers have lousy capacitive distance or charge or something, and using the old breath on or lick the fingers trick got tired very fast!!

#44 ·
Afraid I agree, I just replaced my last mouse yesterday! Between the touch screens on the iphone and ipad and the track pad on my MB Air I am so used to using them that buying a new mouse was out of the question. BTW I am 70, age has nothing to do with it.
Age has everything to do with it to some here. :D Seriously though, arthritis could certainly be a factor for some of us, but I find the track pad gives my fingers a much better workout and keeps them more supple with the trackpad than a mouse. Besides, the trackpad allows so much more flexibility than any mouse. You can't put enough buttons on a mouse to even remotely compare.

#45 ·
The responsiveness of touch pads on MacBooks varies greatly.
On the 15-inch 2007 MBpros the responsiveness was OK, but on the newer 13-inch MBpros and especially the 11-inch MBAir one can't just click on a file to select it, one actually has to keep the thumb on the track pad for a long fraction of a second before anything happens.
And then once in a while a whole bunch of files get selected even though one only clicked on one.
It's so bad that I often plug in a mouse just to ease my frustration.
The response to the mouse clicking is instantaneous so it's not the software or any hardware other than the track pad on the Air.
It's still under warranty and I have been thinking of taking it into the Genius Bar but I'm not sure what my expectations should be.
They will probably tell me the way it operates is normal.

There is no adjustment of how quickly the track pad responds to actions that I can find
This slow response as been confirmed by three other people who have used the Air, the response is definitely much slower than the older 15-inch MBpros but of course still only a fraction of a second.

I posted a question about this on ehMac a while back, ie how fast should the Mac respond but I never received a comment back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.