The cat is not yet out of the bag, but a lot people are gearing up to hear the great big Lion roar.
Lion will be the first Mac OS available as a digital download, according to rumors, Apple suggested the only way to perform a completely clean install of Lion is to first install Snow Leopard, then install Lion on top of that. Apple also suggested that Mac owners who have slow or poor Internet connection come into Apple Retail Stores and download Lion on the store Internet connection.
What a pain
How about burning your own Lion disc, you can then do clean installs on all your machines. Egg Freckles suggests a method that should work in the final retail release of Lion.
- Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.
- Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
- Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
- Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
- Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
- Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.
I know we are ahead of ourselves, but as soon as that cat is let loose, get back to this Thread and let us know if this method works, it would help a lot of people out in upgrading to Lion.
No need to shoot down every poster who inadvertently posts duplicate information in their haste to share with the community.
That would be fair comment if the OP was not a "public servant" who should know enough to search a topic before covering old turf. One's responsibility at that level is quite another matter from a regular stiff who makes a mistake IMHO.
that would be fair comment if the op was not a "public servant" who should know enough to search a topic before covering old turf. One's responsibility at that level is quite another matter from a regular stiff who makes a mistake imho.
__________________ WARNING: If you see links to ads in the above post, blame the cheesy ad-linking software used by the owners of this website. I do not endorse these links. Don't click on them.
HOWEVER: occassionally I have in the past provided links to instructions or illustrations. I will not do so in future, in fact I will not be offering helpful advice for free just to have my words pirated until the sleazy ad linking desists. I will, however, answer PMs.