In need of a great program to rip dvds - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
In need of a great program to rip dvds

Hey there, I'm running a macbook from late 08 and I want some suggestions towards a good program to use so that I can rip a dvd of a collection of videos I made in class this past semester. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks. Btw, I have never ripped a dvd before.
Shabbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Mac Guru
 
monokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,190
Handbrake. MacTheRipper. MacUpdate: Download Apple Mac Software & iPhone Software.
__________________
ACMT
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) 2.3 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 256GB SSD + 500GB HDD + 1TB FW800 OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini
iPhone 4S iPod nano 8GB Sound System Audio Engine A2 Display UltraSharp U2412M 24"
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Club Vertigo Resident DJ
 
Vexel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,521
Check out a program called Handbrake. It'll convert them into H.264 files. Great program. Or, were you looking to make DVD images?
__________________
13" 2.4Ghz ('10) Macbook Pro

http://soundcloud.com/vexelmusic (DJ Sets)
Vexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #4
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
thanks, i downloaded handbrake and ripped the videos I wanted. Thanks a lot for the speedy answers. Much appreciated.
Shabbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
Gerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Handbrake. MacTheRipper. MacUpdate: Download Apple Mac Software & iPhone Software.
The OP says the videos were made by him as part of a class project. What's the point of using MacTheRipper on a project that has no kind of DRM? Defeating DRM and anti-copying mechanisms is what MTR is all about.
__________________
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
- Bill Cosby
Gerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Resident Curmudgeon
 
SINC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 68,091
Send a message via AIM to SINC
Many people are reluctant to admit they are in fact ripping a movie with DRM.

I on the other hand am not. First thing I do when I buy a movie or any DVD is rip it with Mac The Ripper.

I then use Toast to copy and burn the VIDEO_TS file to make a copy of the original.

The original goes into my permanent library collection to sit unused and pristine.

The copy is left out for anyone to play, including grandchildren and sometimes friends who join me camping and after a few beers, and often scratch a disk.

If that happens, I simply make a copy again from the original.

I call it preserving my collection and I don't give a darn who objects. I paid for them and they are mine to do with as I wish as long as they are being used by me.
__________________
Visit my website:
St. Albert's Place On The Web
(Over 1.6 million folks have.)
SINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
keebler27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbill View Post
The OP says the videos were made by him as part of a class project. What's the point of using MacTheRipper on a project that has no kind of DRM? Defeating DRM and anti-copying mechanisms is what MTR is all about.
first one that comes to mind is to make a backup of the entire disc if that's what the OP wants. HB won't do that.

one could use disk utility as well, but the OP got the files he wants so he's good to go.
keebler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #8
krs
Honourable Citizen
 
krs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario and Quebec
Posts: 8,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINC View Post
Many people are reluctant to admit they are in fact ripping a movie with DRM.

I on the other hand am not. First thing I do when I buy a movie or any DVD is rip it with Mac The Ripper.

I then use Toast to copy and burn the VIDEO_TS file to make a copy of the original.

The original goes into my permanent library collection to sit unused and pristine.

The copy is left out for anyone to play, including grandchildren and sometimes friends who join me camping and after a few beers, and often scratch a disk.

If that happens, I simply make a copy again from the original.

I call it preserving my collection and I don't give a darn who objects. I paid for them and they are mine to do with as I wish as long as they are being used by me.
I agree with you - although I only do that for DVDs I or others want to watch repeatedly.

But to save some time, I save and burn them as an .avi file and then use a Philips DVD player that can handle ,avi's and .mp4's.
krs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #9
ehMac Genius
 
MacGenius24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Posts: 522
Send a message via AIM to MacGenius24
I Agree with SINC,

Alot of times I have to rip a DVD to my hard drive so my teaching partner can use the movie while my class uses it.
__________________
1.33 GHz iBook G4, 10.5 ; PowerMac B&W G3 400MHz, 10.4 ;1.66 Ghz Mac Mini Intel Core Duo, 10.5
_____________________________________________
Bill: What's That
Steve: A iHouse
Bill: But It Doesn't Have Any Windows!
Steve: Exactly!
MacGenius24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Apple Certified
 
G-Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Auckland
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGenius24 View Post
Alot of times I have to rip a DVD to my hard drive so my teaching partner can use the movie while my class uses it.
That's actually illegal -- glad to see piracy alive and well in our school systems!!!

What SINC is doing is actually fine, as in Canada it is legal to make a copy of a CD or DVD you purchased for backup purposes!
G-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to hear an apology for the Great Terror in the Soviet Union MACSPECTRUM Everything Else, eh! 9 Nov 5th, 2007 05:30 PM
backing up DVD's spotted dogs Anything Mac 13 Sep 13th, 2005 04:33 PM
Great Safari Freeware Program... DJM Anything Mac 6 Sep 13th, 2005 04:16 AM
iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues ajaxline Anything Mac 0 Aug 20th, 2005 06:12 AM
How do you program that third button? joeyjojo Anything Mac 3 Aug 2nd, 2005 02:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.



Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!