I basically need a notebook for school. So I need to do the basics, but I am also an avid photographer and regularly use Aperture to manage all of my many photos. So good performance for Aperture is a must. I also do some light gaming, but nothing spectacular. Money is not really a problem. I just want a notebook that I will be happy with down the road and I can enjoy using. I would like to know whether it is worth getting the bigger screen and thus a higher screen space (I would update to the very high resolution screen on the 17"). I am coming from a 20" iMac so I think I may miss the space. Does anyone here use Aperture on a 15" notebook and how do you find it? Is the extra screen real estate very worthwhile? I can handle the extra bulk of the 17 as I don't plan on moving it around too often. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
The 17" MBP has the same # of Pixels as the 20" iMac, and you can also now get the 17"er in the 1920x1200 Res, which you can't get on the iMac.
The 15"er has the LED screen though, so better battery life, and brighter.
I'd say if $$ is no object (lucky you! ) and you're not gonna move it too often, go for the 17".
Thanks a lot. I don't mean that money is no object. I have just made enough on my Apple stock to get whatever configuration I want. I also understand that the LED backlights don't fade over time like the older CCFL's do. Would it be worth waiting for the inevitable upgrade to 17" LED display that is surely in the pipeline?
Another possible reason to wait would be the release of Leopard in October. If the updated 17" came out around then, you'd get Leopard for free with your new MBP. Double whammy!
That's a while to wait though. I know I couldn't do it.
I have a couple computers to update anyway so I will get a family pack for Leopard so that means it won't cost me any extra to update to Leopard. I will probably buy soon and hope the LED backlight version doesn't come out the next day.
I was in the market for a MPB 17" until I joined the Apple forum and read all the problems with the WiFi. I will now wait and hope they rectify this issue or I may have to stay in the 'dark side'. Perhaps the LED 17" will be out by then.
Does anyone know or remember if prices increase on Apple computers when a new OS is released?