iBook G3 Logic Board Options? - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
T-hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 378
iBook G3 Logic Board Options?

Hey, so I never paid much attention to the iBook G3 logic board repair program, namely because my computer didn't qualify originally. Thanks Apple for telling me about the change. Love that. I should send them a thank you card... And have a guy with a shnazzy uniform and a badge deliver it.

Anyway, just wanna price shop what the repair would cost in Canada, before deciding if I wanna try for round 2, or give in. Got a $350-$500 flat cost from Apple, which is probably USD.

So prices, or any other options, would be good to know. (Remember, this is used by a woman who just wants a laptop for reading/forwarding emails, instant messaging and Text Twist! We're trying to keep a low price here!)
__________________
Lineups: Yorkdale: #9 • Eaton Centre: #3 • Fifth Avenue: #915 • Fairview: #7

Stores visited: Walden Galleria, Yorkdale, NORTH MICHIGAN AVE, Legacy Village, Eaton Centre, FIFTH AVENUE, SOHO, COMPANY STORE, SAN FRANCISCO, Pioneer Place, REGENT STREET, Keystone, Fairview, Square One

Computers owned: Apple IIe, Apple II+, Mac 128k, Mac IIx, LC630, Performa 6400, iMac DV SE, eMac, Mac Portable, Powerbook 100, Powerbook 540c, eMate, iBook G3&G4, iMac Core2Duo 20", MBP 13" 2010

eWorld Forever
T-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
iMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,741
AFAIK, any such failure in a computer over three years old never qualified, so if yours has just failed and it's over that age, there would have been no help from an Apple notice (if I understand your situation correctly).

However, if it's just a few days more than three years since the purchase date, I suggest calling again and politely asking them to make an exception for you (make a point of stressing what good care you've taken). They may not oblige, but personal experience tells me there's at least a possibility.

If that doesn't work, others will have to tell you what to expect from authorized service providers and freelancers...
iMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Full Citizen
 
T-hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 378
3 years or March 18, 2005, whichever is longer. It's actually been going for a few months now, I just never had the time to call Apple.

I do wonder if Apple extended it to include my serial number AFTER the deadline though... Cuz that'd be pretty crappy on their part!
__________________
Lineups: Yorkdale: #9 • Eaton Centre: #3 • Fifth Avenue: #915 • Fairview: #7

Stores visited: Walden Galleria, Yorkdale, NORTH MICHIGAN AVE, Legacy Village, Eaton Centre, FIFTH AVENUE, SOHO, COMPANY STORE, SAN FRANCISCO, Pioneer Place, REGENT STREET, Keystone, Fairview, Square One

Computers owned: Apple IIe, Apple II+, Mac 128k, Mac IIx, LC630, Performa 6400, iMac DV SE, eMac, Mac Portable, Powerbook 100, Powerbook 540c, eMate, iBook G3&G4, iMac Core2Duo 20", MBP 13" 2010

eWorld Forever
T-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Full Citizen
 
Fastcoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 30
is it really woth it?
Apple will just put another faulty board innit.
I've gone through 2 of those great quality logic boards.

They wont bend on this one at all trust me.
Fastcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
Digital_Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Etobicoke
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Anyway, just wanna price shop what the repair would cost in Canada, before deciding if I wanna try for round 2, or give in. Got a $350-$500 flat cost from Apple, which is probably USD.
I'd call to verify. $350 seems quite low even if it is US. The board alone should be around $500 CDN depending on which iBook you have. Labor is usually 1 -1.5 hours on top of that.

If Apple will fix it for $350, it *might* be worth it. Even at that price it's a coin flip. Any more than that and I definitely wouldn't fix it. That machine has really dropped in value and not worth much more than $350. Apple service parts only have a 90 day warranty so if it fails again after that, you've wasted that cash.

I'd go looking for a used iBook G4 or even a PB G4. Likely won't cost you much more, will be faster and more reliable.
Digital_Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Long term Ehmac'er
 
Alex Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 149
Dunno what machine this logic board is from, but he says an iBook. Might be worth having a chat with him....

http://www.ehmac.ca/classifieds/show...1&cat=6&page=1
__________________
G5 1.8Dual,4GbRAM,Nvidia5200,500GbHD
Macbook: 2.16Core2Duo,4GbRAM,DL Superdrive, 120Gb HD
The Old Workhorse:G4 1.4Ghz,1.5Gb RAM,Radeon 8500,Airport,Sonnet ATA133 Card, USB 2.0, 250 Gig HD,LG & Pioneer DVD-R
Alex Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Honourable Citizen
 
Macified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Park City, Markham, Haliburton
Posts: 4,481
Send a message via AIM to Macified
If it is more (and it probably will be) you should consider replacing it with a newer machine. You can get some value from the parts (case, RAM, airport card if you have one, battery if it's any good, HD, optical drive, power adapter). In the end it will cost you but you'll be much better off.

I went through 4 G3 logic boards before Apple replaced with a G4 which has been quite solid other than a firewire glitch which has been corrected.

good luck.
__________________
“Maybe some day somebody will call me "Sir" without adding "You're making a scene"!!”
-Homer Simpson
Macified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
iMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcoder
They wont bend on this one at all trust me.
They might if it's not long past the deadline. I personally handled one such case, and they did the repair even though the three years had been up for over a month. It probably made a difference that the machine had once had AppleCare on it (also expired by that time) and no previous repairs, but I don't know for sure. (For those keeping track, this was not my own G3 iBook, which was eventually replaced, but someone else's.)

In this case, it has been about three months since the March deadline. Definitely a longshot, but also worth asking.

But if they won't do it, I'd be inclined to agree with those who say sell it for parts and move on.
iMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would the keyboard from an iBook G4 work on a G3 iBook (not Clamshell)? CN Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 4 Aug 30th, 2005 09:27 PM
iBook G3 Can't Boot/Read Tiger DVD? Finch Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 8 Jun 27th, 2005 11:51 AM
iBook Logic Board Extension Status? neema Anything Mac 1 Feb 3rd, 2004 06:46 PM
Apple iBook logic board repair program ! macmaniac Anything Mac 3 Jan 29th, 2004 03:59 PM
iBook logic board problems Goobernatorial Anything Mac 11 Jan 2nd, 2004 05:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.



Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!