you could buy it now or you could wait for the next revision...well, since you're waiting for that revision you mind as well wait for the one after that, but I hear the one after that is even better...
buy it now if you need it, there is no sense in waiting when it comes to tech
The MBP is barely 2 months old and just started shipping, so yes, get it now. The next revision is months away, and playing the "wait for the next one" game is just pathetic, unless it's just 3 weeks away, or if it's close to a major event, like Macworld.
__________________ ACMT Mac mini (Mid 2011) 2.7 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD + 500GB + 1TB FW800 OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini iPhone 4S • iPod nano 8GB • Sound System Audio Engine A2 • Display UltraSharp U2412M 24"
If you buy now, you still have to wait [likely about one month].
Someone on another forum [or possibly this one] made a very interesting comment. In the past, Apples product lines had quite long product cycles. I don't believe that this is going to be the case long term. Apples previous product cycles were based around the availability of new processors. I think due to the Intel migration, we are now going to see a lot more gradual changes. There is no reason that Apple can't just silently start bumping things like processor speeds. I'm not talking about major architectual changes, just small bumps like from 1.83 to 2.0 GHz. This may **** off retailers, but a healthy refresh cycles isn't bad. There are many changes that do not merit a press release that would be beneficial to the consumer.
Mac Pro - Octo - 2.26 GHz - 12GB RAM
Macbook Pro 2.0 GHz 100GB HD@7200RPM 2GB RAM
iPhone G 32GB
I'd wait for the next gen.. just so apple can get the bugs worked out and give time for more Intel software to be released. Your only going to get more for your buck if you wait a bit or even wait for the iBooks if you don't need the power.
A temporary fix is to build an external drive
"Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve."
Xbox Live Gamertag: Jacklar
8gb Touch/ 160gb Classic
15' 2.4 MBP - 4gb/320gb 7200rpm
BB Bold - Soon to be iPhone with the update.
Go with what you need. From the sound of it, your old laptop is on its way out, and if it's becoming a huge annoyance than why wait? On the other hand, you could always hold out until the intel-based iBooks come out if you don't need the full power of the MBP and don't want to shell out the cash for it. That's my plan, but with a RAM upgrade my AlBook should be able to keep pace until then, I don't know if you can say the same for your system. Again, it's what your needs are now, and of course what you can afford!
Black Macbook Core 2 Duo
Upgraded Sawtooth (900 Mhz)
12" 867 Mhz PowerBook - RIP
I'll be an early adopter of the MBP (well, early after the 3-4 week inital ship date) and I can't imagine I'll be disappointed. In my experience Apple looks after it's customers, but for the truly paranoid it might be worth waiting a month or two to hear the first reports.
Either way, the extended Applecare is a MUST, for any computer but especially a laptop.