I am in the midst of 'turning' a pc'er to see reason and finally buy a mac (and say goodbye to spyware, virus', incompatable software, etc). So, I asked her what she needed it for, and below is her criteria:
- cannot afford more than $1500
- i need it for school (internet, sending docs, receiving files, chatting on discussion boards etc)
- will need powerpoint, word, office stuff and will probably have software coming in (they often use stuff and then tell you to download it because they have sent it or used it already)- adobe , photoshop, paint, publisher stuff, etc
- burning LOTS of music
- I WANT IT FOREVER- my last one that just literally blew up was operational since 1994 (university)
- I HATE VIRUSES
- Portability, is a great thing considering I move around a whole lot.
- I want quality
So, I was thinking of either recommending the mini or an eMac (it seems that the iMac is a little out of her price range after tax and all). Am I steering her the right way (I have only been on a mac for a year)?
Thanks a bunch.
__________________ Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't.
--- Pete Seeger
Given her needs. I would say the mini personally. The mini is in a great price range for students. On top of the fact.. that I know students are always on the go. The mini would be great if she had to pick up and leave and take her computer with her. (the mini can be hooked to most any monitor and any USB keyboard and mouse.) With the price difference, she could probably pick up a few pieces of software with the left over cash. Apple has proven over and over that their products last a good long time. My friends CRT iMac is 7 years old, and still runs. Max out the ram, and get a superdrive and she will be good to go quite a while.
As a new Mac convert and a mini user, I have to lend my support for the mini. I do however at times wish that it had a little more pep. I went with the 1.42 Ghz unit with the associated gadgets (superdrive, bluetooth). My decision to get the mini was driven by the fact that I had a great 19" LCD. Even at $1600+tax, I would recommend that you take a very close look at the new iMac. Lots more storage for them MP3s.
You don't have any more screen real estate, its the same resolution.
I agree - I don't think it's worth the extra cash for the 2 inches... and that money can be put towards some software... I vote for an ibook 12"... especially if they get updated soon - it's a great opportunity to pick up the current ibook as stores will want to get rid of older models in stock...