With rumors of new powerbooks coming out for the Sept. Paris apple expo Im begining to think I should hold off on buying a powerbook g4 until then...but then again, maybe the new line will cost way too much and so I should just buy now? Any opinions would help...
Well, if you want to save some dough, the ones that are brand new will drop in price when new ones are announced, either used or remaindered in stores. Indeed, the price of Powerbooks has been dropping like a rock lately, though supplies are running low.
"The United States is putting together a Constitution now for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It's served us well for 200 years, and we don't appear to be using it anymore, so what the hell?" - Jay Leno
If history is an indicator, Apple tends to keep its price points static when they roll out new products. I would wait for Expo if I were you. According to what I read in the paper yesterday, Steve Jobs is slated to do the keynote (no pun intended), and that's a pretty good sign that they have something big to spring on people.
Anytime an Apple product line is due for a change, it's always best to wait just a bit longer. You can either get a better machine for the same price, or the previous generation at reduced price. Recent example was the G4. Everyone knew the introduction of a G5 was likely. For months they knew. Sure enough it happened, followed not only by a better version of the G4 (with dual-boot capability) but at vastly reduced prices.