Rogers Return Policy Meaningless and Useless - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Rogers Return Policy Meaningless and Useless

Just got off the phone with Rogers. The 30 day return policy with Iphone like all their phones must be used for less than (combined) 30 minutes of voice or 30 kb data. That means that you could test the phone and its bluetooth antenna for about 10 minutes. Then you could use less than 20 kb of data checking email and 3G web speeds. Well you can see my concern. You will blow through 20kb of data in about 5 minutes or less. I previously used an unlocked Iphone on Rogers with a $65 for 1Gig plan and was not happy with a few things. Namely, reception not nearly as good as my RIM device, the dreaded "message not downloaded from server" message on 40% of emails and a bad bluetooth antenna. I wanted to make sure that these things were improved in the new version. It looks like Rogers will not let me test this in any meaningful way. Thoughts?
Also was told by the Rogers store I had my name on a list with that the list just means they will call me as they have been told that they cannot hold reservations. First come first serve.
petero1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Full Citizen
 
Drizzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by petero1818 View Post
Just got off the phone with Rogers. The 30 day return policy with Iphone like all their phones must be used for less than (combined) 30 minutes of voice or 30 kb data. That means that you could test the phone and its bluetooth antenna for about 10 minutes. Then you could use less than 20 kb of data checking email and 3G web speeds. Well you can see my concern. You will blow through 20kb of data in about 5 minutes or less. I previously used an unlocked Iphone on Rogers with a $65 for 1Gig plan and was not happy with a few things. Namely, reception not nearly as good as my RIM device, the dreaded "message not downloaded from server" message on 40% of emails and a bad bluetooth antenna. I wanted to make sure that these things were improved in the new version. It looks like Rogers will not let me test this in any meaningful way. Thoughts?
Also was told by the Rogers store I had my name on a list with that the list just means they will call me as they have been told that they cannot hold reservations. First come first serve.
You'd blow through 20Kb of data the first time you open Safari. Their return policy has obviously not been updatedto reflect the usage rates of the iPhone.
Drizzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,377
Bluetooth connections don't count for data.

Where did you find the 30kb of data limit for returns?
HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzx View Post
You'd blow through 20Kb of data the first time you open Safari. Their return policy has obviously not been updatedto reflect the usage rates of the iPhone.
You are correct. However when I pressed them on it, they stated that this is the return policy. Thats it. I asked to speak to a manager as I said that cant be the case, she said it was, and if I was unhappy with that I should complain via the Rogers web site complaint procedures.

As for the Bluetooth comment, I am well aware that the BT does not use data, my point is that in testing out the phone's bluetooth antenna I do need to use voice minutes, and every voice minute I use reduces the amount of KBs I can use for data. Same goes for testing the reception and call quality generally.
petero1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Honourable Citizen
 
HowEver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GTEh
Posts: 15,377
If you deal with a reputable store, these limits are somewhat more flexible.

The bluetooth connection for voice either works or doesn't. You need a few seconds to test it.

"Every voice minute I use reduces the amount of KBs I can use for data."

If you think really hard about that statement, knowing that voice and data are completely different things, you'll understand that it is incorrect.

[I recently returned a Nokia N95 with 0 minutes voice (it was an extra line) and a few hundred MB of data, after 3 weeks--the day after the iPhone was announced.]
HowEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #6
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16
wi-fi

i've been trying to post on this thread and for some reason its not appearing. I asked about what you guys think about just using my current voice plan and not getting any data-plan? I'll just use wi-fi. Im pretty much always in range. The 1st gen. iphone had an option to only use wi-fi. So i plan on doing the same with the 3g iphone. This way ill never have any data charges appear on my bill. Any one else planning on doing this? (sorry of this appears twice)
jay1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Full Citizen
 
Drizzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
i've been trying to post on this thread and for some reason its not appearing. I asked about what you guys think about just using my current voice plan and not getting any data-plan? I'll just use wi-fi. Im pretty much always in range. The 1st gen. iphone had an option to only use wi-fi. So i plan on doing the same with the 3g iphone. This way ill never have any data charges appear on my bill. Any one else planning on doing this? (sorry of this appears twice)
Personally I think it'll be a mistake b/c every time you boot the phone, my understanding is that it reconnects the data. Without a data plan, you get charged by the Kilobyte.

This would be especially bad if you have any application like mail set to auto-check.

Perhaps someone can tell you different, but that is how I understand it works today.
Drizzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #8
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzx View Post
Personally I think it'll be a mistake b/c every time you boot the phone, my understanding is that it reconnects the data. Without a data plan, you get charged by the Kilobyte.

This would be especially bad if you have any application like mail set to auto-check.

Perhaps someone can tell you different, but that is how I understand it works today.
Can anyone else confirm this. Is anyone else planning on not getting a data-plan and using wi-fi only?
jay1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Seriously?
 
Joker Eh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
Can anyone else confirm this. Is anyone else planning on not getting a data-plan and using wi-fi only?
I would wait once it is released to see what the options are and what happens when you turn off Edge data connection, if you can like iPhone 1.0.

I would not trust a salesperson to give you the right answer right now or on July 11th and now one knows because it has not been released yet.
Joker Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #10
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27
Sorry However Rogers reports somethign different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
If you deal with a reputable store, these limits are somewhat more flexible.

The bluetooth connection for voice either works or doesn't. You need a few seconds to test it.

"Every voice minute I use reduces the amount of KBs I can use for data."

If you think really hard about that statement, knowing that voice and data are completely different things, you'll understand that it is incorrect.

[I recently returned a Nokia N95 with 0 minutes voice (it was an extra line) and a few hundred MB of data, after 3 weeks--the day after the iPhone was announced.]
According to Rogers, they measure the amount used in units. It is a combination of minutes of voice and KB of Data. I was told that a combination of these 2 things cannot exceed 30 Units. While you and or your dealer may have ignored that, it appears Rogers claims to be within their rights not to.

Secondly, with all due respect you are wrong. The fact that my BT headset can connect is not what I want to check. I know it will. It is the antenna strength I wish to review. The original Iphone had terrible BT antenna strength. It also was unreliable in its syncing with my Parrot system in my car. Both my BT headset and parrot car system work flawlessly with my RIM device.

I trust now you understand my point, and your misuderstanding of it.
petero1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.



Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!